VPN for ATV2 for Hulu and other US restricted stuff.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jayboy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jayboy macrumors newbie

jayboy

Hi all

I have just Jailbreaked my ATV2 using Greenpois0n. Really easy by the way. But have just found out I can't get Hulu and other content because I'm not in the USA.

I have been looking at routing through a US VPN service. (VPNAuthority.com or StrongVPN.com) but can't work out how to set it up through my router.

I can't just set it up on my home computer because my ATV links direct to the router. And there are no VPN options in the ATV like other iDevices.

My router is a netgear DG834GU.

Any suggestions out there???

Cheers.

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I don't know about your specific router, but some routers can be told to only use the VPN. I'm in the same boat; I went with StrongVPN and bought a custom router from sabaitechnology.com -- they sell DD-WRT routers that are able to be left permanently connected to the VPN. I have my normal Airport for standard traffic and then I have the second router plugged into the Airport so it distributes and broadcasts the VPN separately.

All this could be fixed with some firmware on the ATV2 that lets it setup its own VPN, but noooooo, that would be too easy, right?