VPN for international skype/google voice?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by posnera, Sep 2, 2011.

1. posnera macrumors regular

I will be traveling to SE Asia next month and want to use my ipad for video chat/google voice back to the US over hotel wifi. As I understand it, those services are blocked from non-US ip addresses. So I guess I need a VPN.

Am I better off subscribing to a VPN service for the trip or setting up my mac as a VPN server? Would my Comcast internet (16Mb up/6Mb down) be able to handle video chat over a VPN? - I will be communicating mainly to the same mac that the VPN would be set up over. What bandwidth can you expect from the paid VPN services? The hotels I am staying at advertise high speed internet (but I can't be sure how high the speed will be).

I have no experience with any of this, so any suggestions are welcome.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'd probably be better off using a service like StrongVPN rather than leave your Mac on all the time while you're away.

BTW, I think you have your Comcast Up/Down backwards. The up is almost always slower than the down.

3. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, reversed the numbers.

The mac will be on/sleeping while I'm away anyway. Others will be using it and I rarely shut it down completely.

----------

StrongVPN only sells 3 month blocks, I only need 2 weeks. Anyone have any other services they like?