VPN for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mnya, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnya macrumors member

Jul 20, 2012
    I heard I'd need to get a VPN for my OS X 10.6 if I wanted to prevent my landlord from knowing what websites I visit when I am using their Wifi on my computer.

And I heard the VPN that comes with the OS in System Preferences can't do that, and that I'd have to purchase a 3rd party one.

Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend which providers?
    I got some names at:

And Hot Spot Shield is not good, right?
  2. mnya thread starter macrumors member

Jul 20, 2012

Actually I then just heard from a VPN service provider that even the VPN that comes with OS X can also hide which webpages you visit from the Wifi owner........... I'm confused. Does anyone know?
  3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    I don't use the vpn client built in to OS X. But it would appear to be of no use without a vpn to connect to. I may be wrong.

I do use a vpn service with my mac. I tried Witopia and it worked well for a few months, then began to drop out randomly. I switched to Private Internet Access about 5 months ago and have had no issues with connectivity. The US east server connection is slow for me sometimes. Never had an issue with their other servers.

I haven't tried hot spot shield, but would be wary of someone providing this service for free.
  4. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    I use privatevpn.com. They recommend Tunnelblick as the VPN client and even give you the files you need to configure Tunnelblick to connect to their servers.
  5. kgs macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2012
    I use Cloak, http://www.getcloak.com

Excellent service and works on iOS and Mac. Pretty much zero configuration. Login and install the software. Done.
  6. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    If you want to get to your own Mac from outside your own home take a look at this stuff.

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2012
    I used pureVPN for a while. The main advantage I could see over other providers was that it offered a lot of different locations and severs worldwide.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.