VPN for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnya

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I heard I'd need to get a VPN for my OS X 10.6 if I wanted to prevent my landlord from knowing what websites I visit when I am using their Wifi on my computer.

And I heard the VPN that comes with the OS in System Preferences can't do that, and that I'd have to purchase a 3rd party one.

Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend which providers?
I got some names at:

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/3406/best-vpn-for-mac/

And Hot Spot Shield is not good, right?

mnya

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Correction!

Actually I then just heard from a VPN service provider that even the VPN that comes with OS X can also hide which webpages you visit from the Wifi owner........... I'm confused. Does anyone know?

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I don't use the vpn client built in to OS X. But it would appear to be of no use without a vpn to connect to. I may be wrong.

I do use a vpn service with my mac. I tried Witopia and it worked well for a few months, then began to drop out randomly. I switched to Private Internet Access about 5 months ago and have had no issues with connectivity. The US east server connection is slow for me sometimes. Never had an issue with their other servers.

I haven't tried hot spot shield, but would be wary of someone providing this service for free.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
I use privatevpn.com. They recommend Tunnelblick as the VPN client and even give you the files you need to configure Tunnelblick to connect to their servers.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I used pureVPN for a while. The main advantage I could see over other providers was that it offered a lot of different locations and severs worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.