Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marliefrugal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I would like to start using a VPN on my iPad and iPhone. I've been researching this for a while but is has been difficult to get both unbiased reviews and find out the quaility of the service specifically for use in the U.K.

Are there any Brits on here could give me their thoughts and recommendations of quality and cost efficient VPN?

Thanks

Reactions: chriscl

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Brit here - I use Private Internet Access (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com) - costs me less than £40 for a year, works on up to five concurrent devices, and supports Mac and iOS (as well as Android, Windows and even Linux) and you can even configure certain types of router to use their VPN gateway (so your whole local network becomes one VPN connected node).

Reliability and speed I've found to be excellent, and their support has been very quick when needed.

They have a seven-day trial too, so you can test it out and make sure it meets your needs.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I love and use Opera VPN but I'm not a frequent user but the times that I've used it it has been working great to watch UK/US content in the Netherlands on my iDevices via their app and it's free, with no subscriptions or ads. I haven't found the catch yet.

Reactions: tigerandyx9

orosenberg

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
Manasas
I love and use Opera VPN but I'm not a frequent user but the times that I've used it it has been working great to watch UK/US content in the Netherlands on my iDevices via their app and it's free, with no subscriptions or ads. I haven't found the catch yet.

Me too, it's going down, sadly though. and now i'm trying out other options. i haven't found many decent replacements except good old hss and ivacy lite which seems relatively new. oh and hma and zenmate. gonna miss olaf and his teddy though.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Check https://thatoneprivacysite.net/ for legitimate reviews. Most other sites are just advertising shills.

I have used PIA. I now use Mullvad.

EDIT 18/11/20: I can no longer confidently recommend this site as unbiased. They have recently sold their content to another company which has advertising disguised as ‘Top Ten lists’.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.