VPN, general files and iTunes on a company computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyingSq, Jun 8, 2013.

1. flyingSq macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I have a company laptop that I use off-site all the time and log into VPN during working hours.

1. is there any way they can see the contents/metadata/etc of general files that I have on my desktop? Like pdf credit card statements, bank statements, even personal images when i'm logged into VPN?
    2.can i legally dump my iTunes music lib on this computer? if the company ever requests it back I would obviously delete the entire collection as well as other personal files.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

So the company owns it and the network you connect to. OK.

Yes. In fact there are several ways they can do that if they have a connection to your computer.

Well, legally that would be dependent on what your agreement with your employer would be. Many employers state outright that your laptop is only for work and you may not put personal data on it. And terms like that are 100% legal for them to enforce. If they don't care though, then it would be legal.

3. flyingSq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the response pdjudd-

more info:
    I connect through my own internet provider and hook into the company VPN during typical office hours so I can access the intranet and associated company internal sites.

I do know that they're able to detect current space usage and will send out warnings to back up your files somewhere if your machine happens to be close to capacity.

I know co-workers use their company machines for all their private stuff - but I'm very paranoid about keeping tax info documents and similar personal items on there. I would never download sensitive documents while VPN connected, but question leaving them in a folder on my desktop.

In the past I have given tech direct access to "take over" when they had to enter serial numbers for adobe software. The tech had me download the software from the adobe site. He then had me go to one of those instant desktop share sites and grant him access, where he was able to take control of my computer and input the serial numbers.

I'm beginning to think I should just suck it up, unlike ALL of my co-workers (and boss) and buy a new up-to-date mac along with adobe cloud - so as to not worry about this. (i tend to work a lot and into off-hours --- while not VPN connected --- and could be watching a netflix movie while doing random work - and don't even want my netflix info shared!)