VPN help (please)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Angels&Airwaves, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Angels&Airwaves macrumors member

hey everyone,

well i have this problem thats been bugging me quite a bit. i have access to a vpn server (relakks.com) with an account and everything. i made my vpn setup in leopard in the system prefs as instructed here>>https://www.relakks.com/faq/guides/connectionosx/. anyway, when i try to use the internet on this connection its painfully slow for some reason. when i boot up in parallels and make the vpn connection in windows it runs really fast. is this a problem with mac os x? im running leopard. is there any program that can handle vpn connections without the system preferences? any help would be appreciated.

2. Angels&Airwaves thread starter macrumors member

3. kostia macrumors regular

This happens because the stupid, stupid default is to route ALL your internet traffic over your VPN when your VPN is connected. This may be necessary in order to access some company intranets or email servers, but I don't think that applies to most people.

Turn it off:

Go to System Preferences.
    Click on Network.
    Select your VPN in the left column.
    Click the Advanced button.
    UN-check "Send all traffic over VPN connection."

Problem solved.

These instructions assume you have Leopard. In Tiger, this option is in the Internet Connect application, in a menu.

4. rpeters83 macrumors regular

I tried this in leopard. I didn't work. It was already unchecked.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Does this make the VPN connection less secure?

6. aplsede macrumors newbie

relakks

Has anyone gotten relakks to work? I still get 'cannot find server' error.:(