vpn information

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by abz1981, Jan 16, 2014.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all

Just need some advice really. Sorry if this all sounds like a n00b question etc. However always like to get some advice, which this place is great for.

So I wondered into the world of VPN's, I have never used one before, main reason was why I used and signed up to one, was because in my country my ISP is blocking access to a site I normally go for torrent downloads, for movies etc.

Anyways I came across the site www.privateinternetaccess.com and it seems to have good reviews and easy set up. I signed up with my amex for the month service. I downloaded the installer application it needed for me to install on my mba. Everything works great, for example connecting on via any server in the world and my IP address not showing etc.

I used the service, and now I have discovered the website I try and go on to before, now actually works without the need for the VPN. I have therefore decided to cancel my VPN service which I have done. However I do not seem to see an uninstaller for my VPN on my mba. I have dragged and dropped the app into my trash can and emptied my trash can. Now I am wondering if anything is left still on my MBA that I should be concerned about of this VPN.

The VPN I used seems to be a trusted VPN from people like PC World, Gizmodo etc. However I am just concerned something may have been left on my VPN that may cause my MBA issues or some privacy issues etc. It may sound stupid, but I know VPN is another way to go onto the internet etc, but just concerned, someone may try and access my files now, I used a VPN etc, and just want to make sure all is deleted of this VPN on my mba.

Sorry if the above sounds stupid and a silly question etc. advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use PIA--here are their instructions for completely removing PIA: