vpn into home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twoodcc, Oct 19, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have an airport extreme network at home. could i setup vpn with it?

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

which would be faster and easier?

having my personal website that is on my mac going directly to the internet,

or,

have the website just on my internal network, and then use vpn to get into my network, then my site from there?

basically, would my website doing directly to the internet be too slow? upload speed at home is only like 192 kbs (i think). whatever it is, it's not good. 3.0 mbs download speed (dsl)

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

First, are you wanting to publish your website to the public or is it just for your use? If its just for you, your upload is fine. For public consumption, forget it on that bandwidth.

Dont put the website directly on your public IP, leave it behind your firewall (airport extreme) and setup a forwarded port. You can add a little security by using a non standard port that forwards to either port 80 on your Mac hosting the website, or setup the Mac to use a different port than 80 for the Apache service which helps to prevent any intruders finding the web server on an expected port. If you use a non standard port and you want to surf to your site, you would add the port number as http://mysite.com:18776 for example.

I dont think you necessarily need to setup a VPN for the task you have outlined unless you expect to run other services from your internal network. Its just overhead and you dont want that.

There's a whole lot you can do and it comes down to how much you want to configure. i.e. how secure do you want it, how much access, etc

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. i'm not sure what i want to do in the future, but for now just a website for a few people. the thing is, i've tried and tried and could not get port-forwarding working with my airport extreme

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i think i'm getting somewhere. i think the problem before was that both my airport and my dsl modem was trying to give out DHCP. and i changed the numbers for DHCP on the airport. i think it's working now, as far as port mapping is concerned.

i'm still not out of the woods yet though