VPN, LAN, so many letters!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jawzzy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jawzzy macrumors regular

So I'm at college in California, but my brother is far away. There is a network on my campus that I can connect to using the "Connect to Server" and then typing in smb://SERVERNAME. Is there a way my brother can connect to the same servers from across the Internet? Maybe a VPN? Any help is appreciated!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless your University IT folks are bigger knuckleheads than most, then no, he cannot share campus resources unless he's authenticated logically and administratively to the network.

And there are SEVERAL networks on campus, most of which you can't see, even from campus. The one you connect to may not be visible from off-campus. There are a multitude of public & private nets, some with outbound connections, others without.

Besides, what business does your brother have on the campus network? If he's a student or staff there, he's already got access. If not, well, he's not supposed to be there, anyway.

3. jawzzy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, a lot of the servers are run by students as media servers. Is there any way that my brother could use my computer as a throughput or something?