VPN penetrate double NAT?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by garyleecn, Dec 19, 2015.

1. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

sorry guys, i know this is a little off topic, not necessarily iMac... but just want to hear some thoughts

so, i'm currently behind a double NAT, meaning the 'public' ip my router gets is actually a private ip, say 10.0.1.2 and obviously i don't have control on the upper level router. therefore, there is no way for me to use stuff like DDNS to access my files while outside home

so, I'm thinking, if i connect to a VPN that gives me a dedicate IP (say, 73.1.2.3) and port forwarding, then everything goes in and out will be going directly to this VPN server outside double NAT. then if i use a DDNS and port forwarding on vpn, outside connections (like my iPhone) will connect to 73.1.2.3 and then penetrate double NAT and goes directly to my home machine. in other words, i'll have access to my machine outside home despite its behind a double NAT?

so, is my theory correct? or have anyone every done something like this before?

many thanks :)

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502

What you probably need is a virtual private server with a public IP, running a VPN software. Then you'd initiate the VPN from within your private network to this machine, and when you're on the move, you'd connect to your network using the VPS as a stepping stone. Don't forget to take the necessary precautions to secure your network from the VPN, though. Common VPN solutions often create a virtual network interface in the host, which needs to be secured separately with the necessary firewall rules, etc.