VPN question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Jul 28, 2013.

1. ring macrumors regular

Hi. I am using a vpn called BTGuard, and I have it set up via the network settings. Everything works fine. I only have one concern: what happens when the vpn cuts off?

- I want to make it so when the vpn is no longer active, it doesn't revert to my real wifi, exposing my IP address (etc). Is this possible?

2. macmac13 macrumors member

I don't know about BT-Guard, but I have Private Internet Access. Check the preferences for something called VPN Kill Switch. I love it so that when I am downloading *cough*not*cough* legal torrents, my IP isn't exposed due to VPN failures.

3. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

definitely, your real IP will be revealed,
    when your VPN is not active / not used, you'll be use the real IP from your ISP,

4. ring thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I now.... I want to stop that.

5. stacymichal macrumors newbie

Internet Kill Switch

Have you wondered, if your VPN disconnects suddenly and you didn’t realize the fact and simply continue with your internet activities, what will happen? The duration is more than enough for hackers to snoop on your private data and leave you with nothing. In such cases, ‘VPN Kill Switch’ is your helper. It is a concept of a single shutoff process that blocks all your internet traffic when the VPN disconnects.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have started using Cloak instead of my previous VPN WiTopia. It is available at https://www.getcloak.com.

Part of cloak's feature set is a built in utility called "over cloak" that is essentially a kill switch. If you lose your VPN connection (or when you are first waiting for it to connect)... over cloak blocks all internet traffic.

/Jim