VPN+RDC to connect to work not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kuncham, Jan 7, 2009.

1. kuncham macrumors newbie

Hi I am a new Mac owner.
    I am trying to set up a connection to my work machine and I am having issues.
    Here is what I have tried

I use the Mac VPN software to connect to my work place. It looks like this connection is OK. I can ping the server.
    I downloaded the RDC for Mac from the apple site and when I put the IP address of the machine I need to connect to it does not work. I cannot even ping the server. The remote machine has a 192.168.1.x ip address.

The same thing works fine from my home Windows PC.

I am not sure if my issue is to do with the 2 subnets having the same range od dynamic IP addresses or if there is some other problem.
    I tried to change the IP address range on my Veriozon FIOS, but it wont let me do it or there are issues beyond me.

Please Help. Thanks.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

if you are going through a router, are your ports forwarded?

192.168.1.x is a local address from a router

3. kuncham thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they are. The same thing works perfectly fine from my windows PC.
    The IP address is local to that router at work.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Are you connected via VPN when trying to RDC into the machine in your office?

The 192.168.x.y IP address is a local one that will only work when you're connected to your network. Try using your machine's name. For example, my machine's name is nadyne-svc.microsoft.com.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. kuncham thread starter macrumors newbie

I am connected to the VPN when I am trying RDC. I cannot even ping the 192.168.x.y machine.
    I will get the name of the machine and try it today.
    Thanks.

6. kuncham thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it with the name and it did not resolve the issue.
    thanks.

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What name did you try? Try both the short one (for example, mine is "nadyne-svc") and the long one (mine is "nadyne-svc.microsoft.com").

You first connect via VPN, and then you ping the server and it works. When you launch RDC, are you saying that then pinging the server no longer works? What IP address are you pinging on your server that first works and then doesn't?

Regards,
    Nadyne.