VPN Server for Mavericks...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoelBC, Sep 3, 2014.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I want to try to setup my MBA as a VPN Server that I can access from my office [I am tired of TeamViewers and others like it who throttle bandwidth during peak hours for personal users] so am looking elsewhere...

I would appreciate recommendations -- other than OS X Server -- for VPN Server applications that are easy to configure, easy to use, fast, reliable and secure...

Thanks in advance,

Joel

2. BrianBaughn, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Did you search these forums for "VPN Server"?

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Right. I've removed the link.

5. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, a few things...

1. I did some research of my own and found the following apps for OS X apps that activate / enable the VPN server embedded in OS X:

www.cutdedgesystems.com ....this is a free app

www.greenworldsoft.com ....this costs USD 9.00

www.macserve.org.uk ....this costs GBP 10.00

www.netputing.com ....this is a free app

I went with the cut edge offering because it is free though, admittedly, it is not as full featured as the "for sale" apps but i) it is easy to setup and ii) it works, first attempt to connect with my iPhone worked.

2. Testing with my Windows PC...I wanted to test this but could not because unlike my phone -- where I used the cell service -- I do not have a second network to hop onto.

Would someone please explain to me why I need a separate network to connect via VPN...thanks...

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You shouldn't really need a separate network, but it wouldn't be a proper test without as you would be connecting to the VPN locally which kind defeats the point of having a VPN in this case.

You really want to be testing it by connecting to your VPN from outside your home network, as otherwise you can't tell whether your network (router/firewall) is setup correct and that it is working.

If you have already tested it with your phone then it should be fine.

7. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Need your help / expertise one more time...

Though I was ale to get my iPhone to connect I cannot get my Windows 7 laptop to connect using the Windows 7 built-in VPN Client. While I am not sure I believe the problem is that the Windows 7 built-in VPN client uses L2TP with IPsec (rather than simply L2TP) because the parameters / inputs are somewhat different.

Would appreciate i) whether the problem is or is not as I think and ii) recommendations for a Windows 7 compatible L2TP VPN Client.

Thanks,

Joel