VPN Setting stays ON!!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BvizioN, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I do apologise if there is another thread with this subject I could not find....
    But this VPN (Virtual Private Network) stays ON on my iPhone 5. I turn if OFF and in a matter of seconds it turns itself ON! Any suggestion how to get read of this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. big samm macrumors 65816

I use vpn on my iPhone but never had a problem turning it off... That's real weird... Is this hapening on wifi and 4/G?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd try a full restore and see if that clears it..If not then I'd take it in to Apple.

4. BvizioN thread starter macrumors 68040

BvizioN

On both, 3G and wifi! Only started the last few days and just won't go away! Could this result in more battery consumation?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it's only just started, then it may be software related...I'd give a restore a shot. As long as you have backups, then you've got nothing to lose by trying.

6. chipmac64 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue on my iPad. I found that there is another VPN setting in the General Settings area. Scroll done to the bottom of General and you should see a VPN option that says connected. Select this and look at the choose configuration area to see if Connect on Demand is turned on. With this on any time I would use an app that connected to the net the VPN would turn back on. Once I turned Connect on Demand off all is fine. Hope that helps.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

Where is that connect on demand option? I can't seem to find it...

8. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

go to your settings > general > VPN. Now tap the little blue arrow next to 'name vpn' and switch off the 'Connect On Demand'.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

How does one find the "connect on demand" item? I have never been presented with this option as it just doesn't exist on my device? Could be handy for some things I do and would like to know how to add this option if it is even possible, I am on an original iPhone 5 if it makes a difference (not one of the newer models with the extra bands included).

10. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Mine does not have "Connect on Demand" but I wish it did... iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2. WiTopia, Verizon, using IPSec as my only configuration.

Should I try a PPTP or L2TP for "Connect on Demand" to show up?

Thanks,

Sheldon

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I am only using L2TP and don't have the option.

12. david91 macrumors regular

I think that is software related. Check out Express VPN. Could be possible for you to use.

13. ampicillin macrumors newbie

Than
    Thanks a lot. It works. I was having the same issue on iPhone 7 plus (Need to connect on blue dot next to VPN name and then options comes up)

14. perwarg13 macrumors newbie

perwarg13

Glad i found these same problem a while ago. It'd help bigtime

15. derek macrumors newbie

derek

I found a second solution, specific to my VPN app and separate from "Connect on Demand" (which I keep OFF). I'm using proXPN's VPN client app. The first setting inside the app is "Connect to proXPN". I turned that OFF. Leave it off. Everything now works as desired. VPN doesn't attempt to connect unless I tell it to inside Settings: VPN.

One thing I was finding was that having VPN continuously try to connect, while I have WiFi OFF, is that it was creating significant battery drain. I'm glad that's over.