Vpn settings

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Nadeem_Guroo, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Nadeem_Guroo macrumors member

Nadeem_Guroo

hello
    I am an iphone 7 user,recently facebook and whatsapp has been blocked in my location by all the isp's so i want to use vpn to unblock the blocked apps,i tried installing vpn apps like hotspot shield vpn,they work but they drain the battery too fast,can you guys give me a direct vpn configuration that i can make in settings to access these apps without installing any third party app,i dont know whether thats possible or not coz i have never used vpn's before.
    Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2017 ---
    I have found the vpn configuration but after i turn it on in the settings it connects and if i lock the device after sometime it automatically turns off,i want to keep it active all the time,how can i do that

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Native VPN support in iOS is rather weak, plus it also drains power pretty quick.

I used VPN Unlimited before and it worked pretty well against Chinese GFW. Unfortunately, it drains power a lot too.

VPN needs to constantly connect to network to make sure connection is always available and stable. So I would carry a battery pack with me all the time when using vpn intensively.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

I think only IKEv2-based VPNs have an optional always-on configuration on iOS, but this cannot be set within the system itself (only via a managed profile).

You should try OpenVPN, I have had better results with that app.

4. Audigy macrumors member

Audigy

If it's just a DNS block, you can use Adguard Pro or DNSOverride to force another DNS server via a fake VPN profile. This method is great for those unblock purposes, since is light on resources and there is no need to redirect any traffic whatsoever.

5. Nadeem_Guroo thread starter macrumors member

Nadeem_Guroo

Thanks for your suggestions,actually i m trying to find a way to access those blocked sites or apps for free,i m not sure if vpn is the only way or there is some other way out,most probably without using a third party app and it should be active all the time no matter the device is in stand by or in use

6. Justaguy48 macrumors member

Cloak is a great suggestion and the vpn I use when I need a personal vpn. It has tons of options and can be a "always on" type of vpn if you want it to be.

I also use a corporate vpn when I need to access work stuff and I can say that with either vpn I get worse battery life. Even on my iPad Pro I get between 5 and 7 hours with constant VPN usage, obviously I'm using the device so that uses battery too, but VPN does take a toll on the device as well.
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    Have you tried tor? It's free and meant to "unblock" the internet so to speak.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I use ProXPN on my iPhone and it's working fine. No throttling, no speed limits, no caps, no logging, and enough variety in locations. I don't think their app is quite smooth to use, not really user friendly as I would like it to be. But you only have to use it once, then it's a matter of turning on/off the vpn. Together with google's public dns. They have a free option to try it out i think.