VPN Shortcut?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac In School, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I finally figured out how to get my wife's iMac connected to her VNP at work. It sure seems like a lot of steps to reconnect on a fresh boot. In Windows, they were mapped as network drives, so they would always show up in Explorer. On the Mac, here is what she has to do to connect:

Select the VPN dropdown menu at the top-right of the screen and choose "Connect to Office". Then, in finder, choose "Connect to Server" in the "Go" menu. Then she has to choose the correct IP from the list, and connect to it.

Is there a quicker way to get through this whole process each day? I'm planning to use Automator, but wonder if that's overkill.

Thanks.

2. Grumpie macrumors newbie

Vpn shortcut os 10.6.6

This is a few years late, but I just set up my wife's Mac with a VPN and also wondered how to turn it on & off easily. Found an article from Princeton describing how to set up Mac's for their networks.

Extracted this info:

System Preferences => Network Connections
    Highlight the VPN on the left side
    At the bottom centre, put a Check Mark in "Show VPN status in menu bar"
    May have to Click "Apply"
    Close this window

In the Apple Menu Bar at the top, there should be a symbol that looks like a black pop can on its side, with little vertical white bars. Clicking on this allows Connection or Disconnect of the VPN (at least it does for me, I'm a MacNewbie)

3. Mol75 macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's a timely post. Just discovered Snow Leopard has a built-in VPN client and I ditched the Cisco client, and all that was missing was the shortcut to activate it. Coolio.