VPN + Utorrent leaking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ring, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ring macrumors regular

Hi. I was testing a VPN I just bought called BTGuard. It works fine and everything like that, I set it up via the instructions on the website. I tested it with google by searching "my ip" and it worked. I tested it with "check torrent IP" and it worked perfectly fine.

The only problem is, when I checked via the terminal command "lsof -i", I see connections going to peers from the vpn address (as listed in network preferences), and I see connections that appear to come from "Stevenson" (my home router, the IP listed for stevenson in my network connections.).

I have "Send all traffic through VPN" checked, and I followed exactly how to set up the VPN. (And it appears to be masking me through all other means other than what is showing in that specific terminal command.

When the connections are from the address assigned to stevenson, they are always "ESTABLISHED", not SYN SENT or anything else. Is this a leak? Is my real IP address being exposed? I would like to think not, but this is a serious concern of mine, as I value my downloading privacy greatly.

Is there another way to check to make sure my Ip isn't getting through. A port checker said the only ports that are open are pptp and ssh (normal for vpns).

Is my IP being exposed?

2. ring thread starter macrumors regular

also those "you have downloaded" sites don't show anything for my home IP, but for example I downloaded ubuntu on the vpn, and it showed there.

3. ring thread starter macrumors regular

Ive ran some more tests, and ive noticed that It still appears normal elsewhere, but I do still see the ip of the normal connection in the lsof command. I just need to really know if if is actually going out wrong. Of coarse a site like btguard is a bit shady and they wont help/ known, so thats the reason I asked here.