VPN works flawless in Tiger, no dice with Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, Feb 13, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I regularly access my schools VPN network to gain access to active directories and networked storage mediums. This works well with Tiger...flawlessly in fact but recently i acquired a SR BlackBook with Leopard pre-installed obviously and i copied the VPN settings exactly as they were in Tiger to BlackBook

But when i try to use VPN on the BlackBook, whilst it says its connected (gets an IP address), it doesn't seem to be usable at all. It can't access the directories and/or network storage. It always times out or just plainly doesn't respond.

Its a PPTP type VPN with username/password authentication. Any ideas what's going on?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I had problems with our Cisco VPN client when I upgraded to Leopard. Upgrading to the latest Cisco client fixed the problems. Not sure if there's an upgrade available for yours.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Are you using a client of some sort or the built in VPN?

My school uses the Cisco VPNClient like overanalyzer above and a reinstall of the client fixed the problem. If you're using that or any other kind of client, see if there's a newer version or, sparing that, simply try reinstalling it. That worked for me. If that's not the case then I'm sorry, I have no idea :confused:

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Try digging around in the network preferences for the VPN, advanced settings, and maybe try checking the box that says something like 'send all traffic over this link.'

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

OMG!...i can't believe it was something so somple!. Checking the 'send all traffic' solved my issue. Everything works now and its even....dare i say it....snappier than Tiger.

Thanks a lot and thanks to all those who replied.

7. socokid macrumors newbie

thank you!

I just wanted to thank you for this hint! We couldn't figure out why when we connected to certain clients over Apple VPN PPTP that works great in Tiger didn't work in Leopard. checking that box fixed all of them.

How f'n stupid is it that this was "included"... seems to break more connections than anything else.

ah well, thanks again!

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

They probably ought to pull that option up to the main setting dialog so that people will find it and fiddle with it when their connection doesn't work.

9. aplsede macrumors newbie

That still didn't fix my problem Still getting 'cannot find server' error. Any more ideas would be appreciated.