Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michigander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Not sure if any are using X-Plane. I'm upgrading soon to an MBP. Would the 512 MB be enough to run it smoothly with decent rendering options or should I go with 1GB? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm running X-Plane 10 on a 27" imac with 2GB VRAM. Unlike FSX, it rel;ies heavily on VRAM as opposed to RAM. It will run with 512, but not very well and I think you'd be disappointed. I have an MBP 17" with the 1GB discrete card...It runs at medium settings with that.

michigander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I'm running X-Plane 10 on a 27" imac with 2GB VRAM. Unlike FSX, it rel;ies heavily on VRAM as opposed to RAM. It will run with 512, but not very well and I think you'd be disappointed. I have an MBP 17" with the 1GB discrete card...It runs at medium settings with that.

On my iMac it runs fine with decent settings. On my MacBook, not so much. Since I was going to get a MBP I thought the Nvidia chip would be much better than the integrated GMA950 from 2006. I was hoping it have similar performance to the iMac.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
On my iMac it runs fine with decent settings. On my MacBook, not so much. Since I was going to get a MBP I thought the Nvidia chip would be much better than the integrated GMA950 from 2006. I was hoping it have similar performance to the iMac.

It's all about the amount of VRAM...You probably have the link, but the extensive manual explains it well:

http://www.x-plane.org

It's worth joining the site for downloads too, but it works best with more video ram...It will run with 512, but if you are used to running it on your iMac, then I think you will be less than happy with it on the MBP. I don't use mine anymore, just stick to the iMac....3.4GHZ I7 16GB RAM 2GBVRAM...and the manual says it will take advantage of much more if you have it. The site is a great resource for free aircraft, scenery etc., too.

michigander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
It's all about the amount of VRAM...You probably have the link, but the extensive manual explains it well:

http://www.x-plane.org

It's worth joining the site for downloads too, but it works best with more video ram...It will run with 512, but if you are used to running it on your iMac, then I think you will be less than happy with it on the MBP. I don't use mine anymore, just stick to the iMac....3.4GHZ I7 16GB RAM 2GBVRAM...and the manual says it will take advantage of much more if you have it. The site is a great resource for free aircraft, scenery etc., too.

Yup, been a member since X-Plane 8. Great resource to have. The Problem is that I can't bring my iMac to college.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.