VRAM on the iMac...128 or 256?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaelan, Jun 6, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

Getting down to the wire for pulling the trigger. so far, it's 20" iMac with wireless kb&m. The burning question is do I go for the VRAM upgrade for $68?

Don't do too much gaming at all. Mostly this will be for home use...mail, surfing, photos, some home movie archiving, video conversion for the new iPod maybe. I don't really know what the VRAM is good for, so maybe if I don't know then I don't need.

Does the VRAM make a big difference on resale value? I'm just concerned that since this will be my first non upgradeable computer, then I should go all out (as much as possible) on the front end.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Listen there are a ton of threads on this. Please search. Thanks.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

You won't notice, but it would pay for itself on resale value alone. :D

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The iMac is going to be updated sometime this month. You'll be heart broken when they do because you just ordered one.

This is the worst time to get an iMac, to be honest with you.

It has been 273 days (i think) since we have seen an iMac update. IF you need it right this second, get it, if you can wait a few weeks, I'd highly recommend it. The iMacs will be upgraded to specs similar to the MacBook Pro, which is something worth waiting for.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you knew this then why did you order it?

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Me? I never ordered an iMac.:confused:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Nevermind then.

9. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

so when do they normally do updates? I know WWDC, the one in Paris (Sept?) and the one in January are popular for updates and new products. Was the most recent MBP and MB update just a fluke update, or is there some method to Apple's madness on these bumps/revision/updates between their main events?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Next Tues...MONDAY.

11. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

i know that one, but i'm talking in general is there a predictable day of the week or month that they do "speed bumps" or things like the LED screens? i am aware of the buyers guide and their average days between updates and such. regardless, i'm gonna buy one after the announcement even though i keep reading expect an update a couple of weeks after WWDC.:confused:

i've waited long enough for an imac

12. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

So you're apparently quite concerned about a marginal upgrade in system performance (VRAM), but couldn't care less about what will almost certainly be a major system overhaul?

Please heed this poster's advice.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would wait until WWDC '07 before buying an iMac. But to answer your question, I personally would opt for the 256MB of VRAM. :)

14. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

oh i'm definitely waiting until 11 June (keynote). what's all the chatter about "if the iMac isn't updated at WWDC (due to it not being a pro system), then expect the update to come around then end of the month"?

I don't know if I read that on this forum, but I have definitely seen that on more than one site. Is that common to have a major event without mention of a products pending update, then two weeks later do something major like an iMac price drop/revision/redesign?

15. mark2288 macrumors regular

if you really can't wait, buy it now. else, just wait a few more days and quit whining about waiting.

16. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

few more days and no new imac. buy now?

my thinking is that its still a kick ass machine regardless of what is released in the next 3 months or so.

17. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The iMac is way overpriced for the components that are in it regardless of their quality. Number one being RAM.

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Now that WWDC is in the past. I say buy now. The OP has waited long enough

That's what everyone said 3 months ago, too :rolleyes: