Resolved VRAM Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dead flag blues, May 14, 2011.

1. dead flag blues, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

dead flag blues macrumors member

I'm an industrial designer and am about to buy my next iMac. I will use the new machine for web-browsing, working in CS5, and doing some polygonal modeling in ZBrush, Modo, and Maya. I'd possibly do some rendering as well in Maya and Modo.

The 27" iMac i7 looks pretty good. How would I benefit from the 2GB of VRAM? Real-time rendering? Manipulating huge polysets?

Thanks in advance.

2. The-Pro, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

As far as I know rendering does is not dependent on VRAM. I use FormZ and do rendering daily. FormZ Support told me that renderings are mostly CPU intensive. correct me if im wrong but i dont think may uses the GPU for renderings?? if it dosnt then the GPU is used when moving object, so that it stays smooth, where as if the CPU was doing this it would stutter. You would probably benefit form a good GPU for the work in maya and modo, but i dont think 2gb VRAM will give you a performance gain, lots of RAM helps for maya though. Im not sure, wait for more replies :D

just found this: http://download.autodesk.com/us/may...quirements_for_Maya.htm,topicNumber=d0e180032
    it might help, check it out, i only read the first couple sentences, see if it answer some of your questions :)

3. dead flag blues thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help. I wound up going for the VRAM. I now have an excuse to play games!