VShield Update CPU 170% Usage!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by holtchristian, Aug 10, 2010.

1. holtchristian macrumors member

Dec 20, 2007
    Alright everyone i need some help here, apparently some PowerPC process called VShield Update is running extremely hot on my Macbook Pro. I run 10.6.4 and dont ever use any non-Intel programs so I'm stumped on how to stop it for good. When I google Vshield it brings up some sort of VMware update software, but you guessed it, I dont nor have ever run vmware. Also it mentions some MCafee software, and I did find some old network app I had to use in my college dorms years ago, but I got rid of it and it still is around.

I use Istat menus so can see it running over 150% and my fans are on full power. I will end the process in activity monitor, and it sometimes remains off, but sure enough kicks back up spontaneously.

How do I get rid of this! I have also entered a terminal code to supposedly end the PowerPC processes for good (since I don't use any) but nothing has seemed to change.

Any ideas? I feel like its taking life away from my notebook.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
  3. holtchristian thread starter macrumors member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wow thank you good sir, a complete and simple answer. Very much appreciated, will update in a day to confirm it solved the problem. So far so good !

update: a few days later and everything is running quiet and quick. I have noticed the Vshield app lurking, but it is running about 1 percent so it's hard to complain. I suppose I would like it entirely gone since I have no idea what it is up to, so if anybody has any ideas I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person to benefit. Thanks again for the fix