Vtiger: open source CRM software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ambytiousone, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ambytiousone macrumors newbie

Good Day All!

So, this is my first posting in MacRumors; although I hope to become a new contributor as I learn and grow. Also, thanks in advance for the helpful answers that I am sure I will receive.

I am starting a new business doing a wide scope of things from sales consulting to SEO to basic web/graphic design. I have been researching CRM programs, namely open source, and have decided on Vtiger. Although I do like what I see with Sugarcrm and OpenCrx so if you can help me solve my dilema
    w/ either of those I would still be satisfied.

My only issue is that I have not been able to get the darn thing installed... mainly due to my inexperience with programming as a whole (no worries, I will learn this among a ton of other things I am studying/plan to learn)
    Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of useful information for mac users installing these programs. Granted they are open source, it just seems most of the users/developers on these particular programs appear to be windows users.

Anyhow, I found the installation instructions here

I am running an ibook g4 160gb (w/116gb available)
    mac os x 10.4.11 (tiger)

I tried to follow them step by step using the binary download, which they recommend for people let experiennced with MAMP, etc.
    Below are the instructions and the results that I am getting:
    After I posted the same info and a bit more in their forum: this is the link to my post.

This is the response I was given, I researched his claim that mac comes
    preinstalled with Apache ( although the binary download for vtiger comes bundled) and I don't believe he is an ounce correct.

So, my friends, can anyone offer better advice on installing vtiger? I am kind of an idiot in training on php, mysql and apache and "what-have-you"
    so the most basic, layman's type advice would be taken most graciously!

Thanks Again!

2. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

First things first log out of Root and log in as yourself before you do something bad.

I would suggest finding a book to give you a crash coarse in using terminal and the command line.

Books like "Mac OS X hacks" use to be good as a starting point not sure if it is still around but even a old copy might help. There are also a few online tutorials that will be big help.

Terminal in Root mode is not the place to messing around without a bit of practice or install disks handy.

First thing you need to learn is how to get around and where you are in your system.

You probably don't need to be in root to do the install you want to do anyway. Although will be easier.

Still this not to be a lesson you want to learn the hard way, so find a guide to terminal.

3. ambytiousone thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree wholeheartedly... which is why I am looking for help with the installation. I agree it is haphazardous to mess around in the root menu... I was simply trying to follow the installation instructions. If you know an easier way to install either of these programs I would love to hear it! I do appreciate the information and recommendation for the reading material, and will definitely do the research to find that material.

However, that is involved in the learning process... which means it is a time consuming matter; one that I have every intention of learning. It just doesn't seem to help me out at this moment.

If someone has successfully installed any of the above mentioned programs and would be kind enough to enlighten me on proper installation or explain what it is I may be doing that is preventing successful install; I would be forever grateful.

Thanks again!

4. M TALCOD macrumors newbie

CiviCRM

I don't know a lot of CRM tools but as I work at a French Web and Open source agency (TALCOD), I do know well CiviCRM. Customers are quite satisfied with the management tools we build and base on it, so it could be a great tool to suggest you. Maybe it could help you.