Vudu and Apple at odds???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Snoopy4, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I've sent an email to Vudu asking if there is a problem with the title, but something very interesting is going on with the Snow White title that was just released. Having already purchased physical media for Snow White I picked up the digital copy by purchasing the title through DMA on the iPad. I've done this with a couple of titles, but usually its a code redemption. It plays on all services except Vudu and the Vudu app says "not supported on iOS devices". Works just fine in Amazon, Google, Microsoft in the video app on the ipad and plays fine on AppleTV. Man, if they are going to start locking down movies purchased in a way that is supposed to be cross platform and then lock them down by device type this is going to get ugly. I'm hoping its just the title or an authorization problem, but want to ask if anyone else experience this?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well the movie is owned by Disney so Vudu not Apple has any control over it. I would contact Disney to find out why.

3. Snoopy4, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

Snoopy4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

DMA has advised that for a limited time after sale, they lock down certain titles to devices associated with the ecosystem you bought the movie through when using that device. For example, if AppleTV had a Vudu app the movie wouldn't be allowed to play in that app. It also blocks PC use. Usually we just redeem a code, but this was unusual because we already had the BD. This digital content management thing gets worse every day. If we had repurchased the BD then entered the code, it would work across all devices not just iOS. Its rather specific to Vudu and iTunes.

Works just fine on the amazon app on iOS devices and the Microsoft App on the PC. Weird.

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Weird.... All my Disney/marvel movies are available on every device and apps linked with DMA.

Did you link your Vudu, Amazon, iTunes and DMA accounts?

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I just redeemed a Snow White digital copy via DMA. Plays without issues on my iPad and iPhone using the VUDU app

6. Snoopy4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah, that's the difference for sure then. This one I bought through DMA on an iTunes device because we already had the BD. I should have spent the extra couple of bucks. If these ecosystems are going to start getting all pissy with each other it's not going to be pretty.

Edit...

Just tried it and it works. Looks like the CS agent was full of crap and it was a file issue....