VUDU Confirms Apple TV App in Development, But Release Date Unknown

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Streaming movie and TV service VUDU has confirmed that it is currently in the development stages for an upcoming fourth-generation Apple TV app, although the official launch timeline is unclear at this point. A Redditor spotted the confirmation from a VUDU engineer named Jake, who posted on the company's forums in response to a user's inquiry about the long-requested debut of a VUDU app for Apple TV.

In a separate thread dating back about a year ago, the same engineer explained the reasoning behind VUDU not prioritizing an Apple TV app. He mentioned that due to Apple's strict policies preventing third-parties from selling movies in their apps, VUDU has instead focused on adding HD AirPlay streaming into its iOS app so users can use the company's mobile app to stream all of their content to Apple TV. It's believed that the same restriction has prevented Amazon from debuting Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV.

[​IMG]

With VUDU's Apple TV app confirmed to be in development, it's likely that the company will use the same tactic that it took with the VUDU iOS app [Direct Link] in finding a way to abide by Apple's policy while still offering the crux of its services. On mobile, users can watch and download all of the movies and TV shows they want, as long as they complete the transactions on VUDU's website first.

While that's a hindrance for VUDU iOS users, it could work the same way for Apple TV watchers. Besides purchasing and renting movies and TV shows, VUDU acts as a storage vault for digital copies of films purchased in retail locations, if users choose VUDU as a storage space over other options such as iTunes.

For the Apple TV itself, Apple is rumored to be working on an updated 4K version of the device for potential release before the end of 2017.

Article Link: VUDU Confirms Apple TV App in Development, But Release Date Unknown

2. Lumpy05 macrumors regular

Thanks for the update, lack of information has made me think that a VUDU app was never coming. Its the one app I really miss having. I can live without Amazon Video. I have a big UV/VUDU library and my alternative to access it is to boot up the Xbox which is less than ideal.

3. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

I stopped using VUDU as my digital copy vault because the Xbox app is so painful to use :confused:

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I guess I understand Apple's POV on this, but this restriction, along with other restrictions that Apple has had on the ATV4 in the past basically neuters what could be a great device.

For the ATV4, there are a lot cheaper options out there that have stuff like Amazon video. The ATV3 is a lot cheaper, and the apps that are on there are much better than the ATV4 versions imo. At the price, the ATV4 has not been worth it so far.

I have loved my ATVs, but I am thinking about trying something else.

5. malexandria Suspended

what's the point of this story? "app is in development, but who knows the release date." thanks for nothing. With that said, putting Vudu on the ATV and adding 4K support would make it my dream box. Considering I have 900 movies on Vudu and 500 on ATV, it drives me crazy that my entire digital collection can't be in one place.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Vudu is available on a vast majority of devices so just because you don't like the App on the XB1 doesn't mean you can't easily access it on something else. It's why Vudu will ALWAYS be my preferred digital service over Apple's crappy walled garden.

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Sure. But when I got Apple TV Gen 4 I didn't really feel like turning on my xbox just to use an app I don't like, so I switched to iTunes for my digital movies.

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

LONG overdue, especially since there is an iPad app which Apple has no problem with

8. SupaDav03 macrumors member

Been wanting this for some time. I actually enjoy 3D movies (I know, I know, it's a dead format) and lots of times the 3D bluray only comes with a Ultraviolet digital copy of film. In those instances I generally pass on the 3D version because I prefer to have my digital copies available on my Apple TV and I don't want to buy the movie twice (3D bluray & again on iTunes). This would make things easier. Get all the 3D movies I want without worrying if it's accessible on my ATV4.

9. 2010mini macrumors 601

Apple does not forbid in-app purchases. Such things come with a percentage fee. There are other video content services on ATV with in-app purchasing..... Ultraflix for example. Vudu and Amazon just wants what they would never do for Apple: get free access to Apple's user base for free.

10. SupaDav03 macrumors member

Just reached out to VUDU, they said there is ZERO truth to this....

11. belvdr macrumors 603

Zero truth to the app? Wouldn't make any difference to me. I've never used VUDU.

12. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

Then why is their no Flixster app? That app acts like a de facto UV library. You don't really purchase things from Flixster but it is used to redeem UV movies so....

A VUDU app would be welcomed with open arms.

13. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

It's not happening. It's been in 'development' for months/years.

14. Larry The L Suspended

So perhaps you should chose another platform. Don't really understand the point of your post.

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I get it, and I don't necessarily blame Apple. See:
    I really don't like to place blame on any of the parties involved, because I think they all have valid arguments on their policies.

But, if neither party wants to budge on their position, then I think it kind of hurts Apple more. How many people are passing on the ATV4 due to how limited it currently is? Of course, it is the same the other way around, but those services like Amazon video are available from many other sources.

People have a choice on what devices they use, and if you add up all the issues with the ATV4, and throw the lack of services like Amazon and VUDU on top of it, it is no wonder people are going for these cheaper options.

To be fair, Apple caved a little and dropped the % of their cut to 15%, but it might be too little, too late.

If a long time Apple fan like me is seriously looking elsewhere for alternatives for the ATV, I am sure the average penny-pinching person will do the same.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

No vudu and Amazon prime

It will never be serious set top box option for millions

17. malexandria Suspended

fair enough. I just don't trust walled gardens. Even though I do think iTunes digital copies are generally better and cheaper than Vudu if for no other reason than iTunes copies include all the Blu-ray extras while Vudu STILL doesn't include it on most of their films - unless you purchase directly from them. It's annoying.

18. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

This would be huge... Vudu has been my de facto UV service all along due to the disc-to-digital program (and available HD upgrade)... it'd be great if they could use the Apple TV to improve the UX on their service too... it has never been a pretty one. Ultimately, I yearn for a service that gives you the front end of iTunes movies, which operates just like a disc with a title screen... of course, that need could be answered by Apple simply joining in on UV......

19. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

My other platform was Apple TV, which VUDU isn't on.

20. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

Maybe he doesn't have another platform.

21. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Just a long shot, out of curiosity, would you be willing to share your library? :D

22. malexandria Suspended

Pretty crazy when you think about it. All that nickel and diming adds up!

23. tennisproha macrumors 65816

That sounds like a yes? o_O

24. malexandria Suspended

yes for $700 ;)

25. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Actually I looked into this today. Looks like there's no way to really share. :(

Kudos on your collection.