Vudu vs iTunes/Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DramaLLama, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

I see a lot of hate for Vudu but most of the threads are older when it had less features and usability. Has anyone here preferred the use of Vudu instead of iTunes for movies? Can iTunes stream movies or do you have to download them?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I like iTunes/Apple TV because I can add movies I already own and play on Apple TV. I can also stream any iTunes purchased content from the cloud.

Vudu is cool, but I don't see the sense in paying to get a digital copy of a movie i already own in disc form.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Everyone has their own tastes - I find that for rental, Vudu offerings on my system simply look and work better.

AVS Forum had a few contrast and compare of streaming and iTunes did okay but most of the time, Vudu gave a better presentation.

I have stopped using iTunes Store altogether. I use Vudu (and sometimes Amazon) for rentals, Netflix streaming and disc rental as well as simply buying the discs. This has worked well for me as I am not invested in an ATV (I have Mac Mini going to my AVR to my large screen TV.

4. Rob9874, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

I had been an iTunes exclusive fan. As you said, the initial response to UV/Vudu was negative. Why would I want to stream over the internet?

But in the last few weeks, I've gotten into digital movies more, and have had a change of heart. Whereas I still prefer iTunes, since I am immersed in the Mac world, I'm starting to get into Vudu. You can stream HD movies through their app on your TV or online on your laptop. You can stream or download to your iOS device, currently only in SD, but I suspect that to change soon. And their D2D service (on sale for $1/blu-ray through 1/31) is an easy way to get digital copies of blu-rays you already own (or borrow from friends or the library). Not to mention people on other forums who sell the codes for $2-$3.

I'd say right now, I don't have a preference between iTunes or Vudu. I'm finding it easier to add to my Vudu library. I recently figured out how to rip digital copies of my own bu-rays with MakeMKV and Handbrake, but I don't have that kind of time to devote. I like having instant access with a code or D2D.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

itunes is better for usability but Vudu HDX is better for those of use without a home theater system. i've found that with HDX i get better quality dialogue that i can hear without turning my volume up. with itunes i'm always playing with the volume to turn up the dialogue and then turn it down when the music or action gets too loud for my sleeping kids

vudu is also multi-platform. itunes you are locked into apple. a vudu movie can be streamed through any UV partner app, smart blu ray players, smart TV, ios, android and other platforms

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I do as it's on one of my TV's and on the bluray in another room and works very well. Both of those are 1080p capable while my ATV2 is just 720p. ATV2 is also not hooked up to a TV.

Don't just rely on reading. Give it a shot and see how it works for you.

I don't either. I use it for rentals.

8. Uofmtiger, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Personally, I did the disc to digital process for cloud backup of the files they would take. I have Crashplan, but I didn't want to spend a year backing up terabytes of information. The second was the DVD to HDX conversion that was available for a bit more money. Since the movies are in the cloud, they can be accessed from anywhere with my iPad or computer. I don't need anything on at home to access them.

I realize that you can rip the file to your computer, download an app to access them, and then watch them via an iPad. However, it is more time consuming and there can be issues with metadata and artwork. It also requires more research to get everything squared away. One of the reasons I like the service is the same reason I like a lot of Apple products, it is easy and works the way I want it to.

As for Vudu vs iTunes/AppleTV. I use both. There doesn't always have to be one answer to every question. I have an AppleTV2, so the movies are better quality in Vudu using my Roku 2XD, but I still stream from the AppleTV on occasion.

9. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

OP here. I went ahead and went with Vudu... Got some free movies to own with some promotions for signing up, including 3 HDX movies (of difference choices than the other promotions) for $5 each... then I got like 10 other free movies for signing up with Target Ticket (and apparently you can get more free offers for signing up with other services and linking your UltraViolet account.

I also went ahead and bought some of my 'staple' movies to own, but other than that I won't be buying many movies, maybe one or two every few months.

One thing I didn't realize and you have to be careful with is if you get a movie in another service (say Target Ticket for example) and even if it's in your ultraviolet account, it doesn't mean you'll be able to play that movie through Vudu... Vudu has to have that movie in their own library... that was the only thing that threw me off.

I just don't have the storage space or theater /apple ecosystem setup enough for iTunes to benefit me.