Vuze hogs bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jknight8907, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Here's an interesting problem for you guys. I run Vuze on my Macbook for torrents, and share internet with a friend in the apartment upstairs who runs uTorrent and an Asus. We both run torrents on a scheduled basis from midnight-6am only. He usually starts his at 11pm.

Here's the confusing part. If you watch his download speed, it can be humming right along right up until midnight, my Vuze starts downloading in the 100kpbs range, and he speed plummets to the 10kbps range, and stays there until 6am when mine shuts off, and promptly zips back up to realistic speeds. (it does this every night, so it's not specific to a single torrent or seed) Any idea why Vuze dominates the bandwidth? I'm wireless and he's ethernet connected to the same router.

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you connections encrypted?

Helping because I'm assuming that the torrents are running legal downloads.

3. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

4. Miker2k macrumors regular

How about your BT connections though. Do you allow or force encryption?

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I would almost say the NAT table is getting filled up in the router by all the connections opened by Vuze along with uTorrent's already opened ones. Check your settings uTorrent defaults to 200 maximum 50 per slot/torrent 4 torrents at a time I would probably cut that in half and set similar on Vuze. Alternatively as crazy as it sounds you may want to try VirtualBox running an instance of XP in it for just running uTorrent works great for me or even get your friend to setup the WebUI on his uTorrent then you can access his machine to download your torrents on it thus only one client running on the connection.

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

What router are you using?

Some routers are known to buckle when torrents are running.

8. Miker2k macrumors regular

I agree.... 2 open torrent clients regardless of actual bandwidth utilization will slay my Internet connection. I think that the router is simply unable to keep up with all of the open connections.