Vuze prevents WDTV Live from connecting to the computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Doc69, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I have a WDTV Live connected to my TV and network so that I can stream video files from my computers to my TV.

I have three Macs and one PC. The WDTV has no problems accessing the Mac and PC that does not have Vuze installed. However, it can not access my Macbook Pro where Vuze is installed. I've talked to support teams at both Western Digital and Apple, and they said that everything was correct set-up at my end.

I'm suspecting that Vuze because:
    Vuze clearly has affected how the Macbook Pro broadcast itself on my network. The PC, with Windows 7, sees the Macbook Pro as "Vuze on Vuze", not as "MacBook Pro", which is the name I have given the computer. The Macs sees it correctly as "Macbook Pro". Also, the WDTV sees the Macbook Pro as "VUZE", but when I try to connect, it says "The Media Server can not be accessed". I'm using the "Network Shares" feature on the WDTV and not the "Media Server" feature. I have also turned off the "UPnP" plugin under Media Servers in Vuze Preferences, but it didn't make a difference. Also, my Macbook Pro has three partitions with 10.6.2 installed. On the only partition that does not have Vuze installed, the WDTV can access it. So clearly something is up with Vuze.

To make things even more complicated, I've had the WDTV for three weeks, and one day about a week ago, the Macbook Pro suddenly turned up on the WDTV as "Macbook Pro" and I was able to connect. But then later that evening, it didn't work again.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Do you only have problems connecting when Vuze is running, or even when the app is not running?

I'd suspect a Firewall or sharing setup issue that Vuze might have altered to allow torrent access to your MacBook Pro. Can you tell use you firewall and sharing settings in System Prefs?

I'd recommend using Transmission myself. Vuze just got so bloated for my tastes.

3. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks iVoid for your reply. I have the problem regardless of whether Vuze is running or not.

My sharing prefs are: File Sharing ON. Under options I have checked AFP and SMB and my account. The WDTV uses SMB. An interesting thing is that under File Sharing on my Mac it says: "Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://vuze on vuze.home/ or “MacBook Pro SSD”. I wonder where "afp://vuze on vuze.home/" came from.

I have tried different Firewall settings with no difference, and it is currently set to off.

I like Vuze a lot, but as you say, it's quite bloated. I'll give Transmissions a try.

Thanks

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

What does your 'Computer Name' under Sharing say? It sounds like Vuze has put itself in there somehow. If it's not listed there, maybe just changing it in there will override whatever Vuze did.

5. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

After my second day of talking to an extremely knowledgeable and nice guy at Apple level II support, we finally fixed the problem. Here's a rundown.

First we reset my Verizon FIOS router. That fixed the problem that my MacBook Pro advertised itself as "Vuze on Vuze" on the network, instead of it's given name. After that, the MacBook Pro showed up properly on the WDTV under Shared Folders, but I was not able to connect. It said "No media in folder". Then the Apple rep. suggested that I check "Remote Login" under "Sharing" in "System Preferences". That took care of the last problem.

To summarize for WDTV Live users who are having a problem accessing a Mac over the network, try all or some of the following steps:

1. Under "Sharing" in "System Preferences", enable File Sharing and make sure all users have Read & Write permissions.
    2. Click Options and enable SMB sharing and put a check mark in your user account.
    3. Enable Remote Login and allow access for All users.
    4. Go to the "Accounts" tab in "System Preferences" and make sure both "Allow guests to log…" and "Allow guests to connect…" are checked.
    5. Reset your router.
    6. Under "Energy Saver" in "System Preferences", uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep..." and check "Wake for Ethernet network access".

I hope this helps. Thank you iVoid for your input.

6. ubatra macrumors newbie

More steps to fix smbd setup on MAC OS X 10.6.4 Build 10F569

I ended up adding another 3-4 steps to fix my problem, it was with my MAC OSX not able to run smbd process correctly ... I am not sure if this is related to some bug with the build 10F569 - OSX 10.6.4

1. Check Logs /var/log/samba/log.smbd, It was not able to find "smb.shares" on /private/var/db/samba directory

2. Create directory /private/var/db/samba, add permission using "sudo chmod 775", if required

3. Create file "smb.shares" with the following entry

#
    # Configuration options for smbd(8), nmbd(8) and winbindd(8).
    #

[ub's Public Folder]
    comment = ub'sPublic Folder
    path = /Users/ub/Public
    available = yes
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 644
    directory mask = 755
    read only = no

[global]

-----

You anyway have to make sure the above steps are done

4. Connect as anonymous/<blank> on WDTV

5. Under "Sharing" in "System Preferences", enable File Sharing and make sure all users have Read & Write permissions.

6. Click Options and enable SMB sharing and put a check mark in your user account.

7. Enable Remote Login and allow access for All users.

8. Go to the "Accounts" tab in "System Preferences" and make sure both "Allow guests to log…" and "Allow guests to connect…" are checked.

9. Reset your router.

10. Under "Energy Saver" in "System Preferences", uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep..." and check "Wake for Ethernet network access".