Vuze Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ViciousShadow21, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

When i use Vuze to download torrents it slowly takes away all of my RAM. According to iStat pro i have about 400MB of "free" RAM and 5GB "inactive" after using Vuze for about 2hrs. any idea why this is happening and who i can fix it? right now the only way i can get the RAM back is by restarting the computer.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

my buddy told me that transmission is better as it uses way less resources than vuze. Vuze is way resource heavy for some reason. i still use both:)

3. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

For one, Vuze is way better than Transmission as far as performance goes. Also, there is nothing wrong with it taking up your RAM. All it leaves over is "inactive" RAM which is basically free RAM. You don't need to restart your computer to get your RAM back LOL... it's not like it's gone, it's all there, it's just "inactive" instead of "free"... same thing. OS X will bump out the inactive RAM when necessary.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I"ve tried both Vuze and Transmission, and get far better results with transmission, and my RAM never goes into an 'inactive' state from transmission.

It may be more of a personal choice to use one over the other.

5. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea but see it never comes back. the other day it went down to 17mb of of free and 5.5GB of inactive. to test your theory i opened Photoshop, logic 8, and Safari and the RAM never came back. it just sat there paging in and out like a mutherf'er

6. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ok so it says that it should transfer the inactive ram to active ram as it needs it, but should i be worried that Vuze is making all that RAM inactive. i mean what's it doing that causes this? and why is it paging out so much?

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Look here especially post#6.h.i... unless someone else has more detailed info on Page-ins / Page-outs.... :eek:

8. MacBook MH macrumors member

Transmission is much better and uses less CPU and RAM

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

For small-ish torrents yes. But for torrents with 60,000+ peers and seeds... it seems to bog down and not connect at the speed it should. I just wish we could have an app with Vuze's performance and Transmissions UI!

10. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea that would be awesome. i do love Vuze's search function tho. its really convenient.

11. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've never really used it. I always use BTJunkie.

AND... I just had another thing happen that reinforces my argument that Vuze performs better. Opened up a torrent in Transmission, let it sit there for a WHILE and it never got above 2 KB/s. Removed it from Transmission and opened it in Vuze and it started downloading immediately at over 150 KB/s. Bye Bye Tranny.

12. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you have the same issue that i have of Vuze making all your RAM inactive and causing page outs? i know you said before that it will come back as i need it but it never seems to. instead i end up with all these page outs.

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Ya I have noticed that Vuze is pretty RAM hungy compared to some others. I have a little over 153MB in page-outs right now (I think the last time a restarted my Mac was about 4 days ago) so that doesn't seem too bad. Haven't noticed a decrease in performance at all because all it leaves behind is "Inactive RAM". How does your page-outs look?

14. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i havent run it in a a week or so but the next time i do i will take a screen shot. but most of the time after running Vuze for about an hour it will be sometihing like this,

Active: 700MB
    Inactive: 4.5GB
    Free: 17MB
    Page Outs: 2,000ish

come to think of it i wonder if it has something to do with upgrading it to 6GB? i never had this problem until i did that. maybe i will try putting the 4GB back in and see if its the same. i dont see why this would be the case, but who knows. the loss of dual channel may have effected it.

15. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i enjoy utorrent. even though its a beta. it does a hell of a good job

takes very little resources. and can handle those multi peer torrents fairly well

there are some bugs in it (but hey its still a beta) like having to quit the application before shutting down or restarting your mac. it'll cancel the command if its not quited and other stuff but im enjoying using utorrent atm.