Vuze, which USEs ffmpeg, sucking cpu

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 10smom, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

every time even turn on vize for a minute, the % cpu sky rockets to about 130-160 . Looks like it is the Transcoder of videos to devices source of problem , which in my case is Itunes/ipad This is only happening in last day or so. Anyone have and Idea how to prevent? tried restart computer and disk defrag. Thanks for you help

2. floh macrumors 6502

Out of the blue, I would say reinstall Vuze...?

I never used Vuze, but I know ffmpeg pretty well. That can't be the problem, since it is only active when directly called. Maybe you have some conversion happening in the background in Vuze? Does Vuze have a batch list that is not emptied yet?

It really sounds to me like Vuze is finishing some transcoding job as soon as you open it, and closing it will only pause said job again.

Sorry, I can't be of much more help here...

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Four things:
    1. Vuze is a Java-based application rather than a binary application.
    2. Vuze is not just a player. It is a BitTorrent client that is fully engaged in torrent activity while it is playing video.
    3. We can only guess about how Vuze's transcoder affects your situation because you gave no information about the source and target formats of your video.
    4. Do not waste your money on a defragging utility. Defragging is a Windows solution to a Windows problem. MacOS X takes care of this issue automatically.

4. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

10smom

It is a tv show recorder for me by a friend. it is in .avi formate

Still cannot transcode in vuze befcause of the high cpu so I downloaded handbrake and it is doing same thing. Goes up to 164 % cpu as soon as I heit start button.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

5. SlugBlanket macrumors regular

So you are using Vuze at this point simply to play the .avi file possibly on a third-party device like the xbox or PS3? If you have VLC, try using that to just play the file on your Mac. If VLC can't play it then most likely you have a corrupted file. VLC is free and robust and can play pretty much any type of video file. I would recommend it to have in your media utilities along with Handbrake and Perian.

Can't give you any further advice until I know what you are trying to view the file on wether it's your Mac or the Xbox/ PS3 or another device type.