vWallpaper Video Ringtones work only in Lock/Homescreen

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UCLAKoolman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I've been using the vWallpaper app for my video wallpaper needs, and recently tried the Video Ringtone feature it offers.

When receiving a call while my phone is either locked or sitting on the homescreen, the caller ID pops up and the video plays nicely (there is a short volume display popup that fades quickly however).

But if I receive a call while anything is open on the phone, such as text messaging, safari, or the phone app, the caller ID still pops up, but instead of playing the video the phone just vibrates instead.

Has anyone been able to have video ringtones play normally when receiving a call while in an app? Is vWallpaper the only program that enables video ringtones? I made some pretty cool ringtones from a Daft Punk DVD I had laying around, and it would be awesome if I could use them without the bug I described. (I'm on an iPhone 4 iOS 4.0 btw)

2. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to have to bump my question again, but does anyone in these forums use video ringtones on their iPhone?

3. Set845 macrumors regular

I use vWallpaper and video ringtones does behave as you describe. I recorded the grandkids yelling at me to answer the phone (I used the front cam). Pretty funny. I suspect it doesn't play the video ringtone while in an app for the same reason it doesn't play a vWallpaper when using the iPod app minimized. Too much overhead for the processor, so they claim. I'm pretty sure vWallpaper doesn't run while in an app as you can see it start up when closing one. I don't know of any other app that does this.

4. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I suppose it's good to know this happens to you as well, so I don't need to worry that some app is interfering with vWallpaper.

I guess since I usually have my phone locked when it's on a desk or in my pocket, this weird bug won't be that large of an issue.

5. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

how did you use a video that you made a your ringtone? and can you select it you us for ALL contacts?

6. Set845 macrumors regular

I originally recorded the kids using the rear cam and the iphone vertical but when I played it back in vWallpaper the resolution was wrong. What was recorded as a full body shot played back as a blown up partial head shot. I then recorded them again using the front cam vertical and was partially successful. I say partially because although the resolution was correct the video was not centered. I recorded the kids a third time partially off center right or left, sorry I forget which, and it played back somewhat centered in vWallpaper. vWallpaper cuts off one side of the vid when recorded vertically. You'll have to trial and error. I then used iFile to move the video from /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/101APPLE to /var/mobile/Media/Skrew/vRingtones. In vWallpaer open the Video Ringtones section, turn on Enable VideoRingtone, open the Select Global Video section and choose the video. That will make it global for all calls. You can also go into the Manage contacts section but I haven't tried that yet. I hope this helps.

7. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

THANKS SO MUCH!!! have couple questions now then.

1. when i move the video to the other folder, will it erase it from my camera roll?

2. how do i erase the other videos that i d/l but now dont want. everytime i try to delete from the app the reappear. im on 4.1

8. Set845 macrumors regular

If you use iFile then, when in the 101APPLE folder press the edit button. You will see all the files move slightly to the right to make room for a radio button. Press the button for the file you want to move/edit and it will become checked. At the bottom right of iFile press the rectangular icon with the right arrow in it and a popup will appear where you can choose to either cut or copy. After navigating to the vRingtones folder do the same but press paste. So you can either cut or copy as desired. If you use SSH instead of iFile you can also either cut or copy as desired. In the vWallpaper app, to delete a downloaded ringtone or vwalpaper all you have to do is slide your finger across the file in the list and hit the delete button. It works every time for me. I am on iOS 4.01 tho so I am worried about upgrading to 4.1 and losing the ability to delete. I'm wondering if the directory structure is different between the two versions of iOS. If they are then my earlier instructions may not work for you. Can somebody on 4.1 confirm this please?

Edit: There should be no reason we couldn't just delete downloaded ringtones/vwallpapers using iFile or SSH.

9. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

thanks.

thats what i am wondering about. if i decide i dont want vwallpaper at all and the dont fix the delete problem in 4.1, if i can just use ifile to delete the whole skrew file which is like 2gb large. then if i go back to using it once the fix for 4.1, if i can use it again. also if i use ifile to delete the whole file, will it mess anything up. hope it isnt a dependent on any other files.

10. Set845 macrumors regular

Well, as I said before I added my homemade vringtone to the ringtones directory and it showed up in the list in the app. Also I just downloaded a vringtone and deleted it using iFile and it dissappeared from the list. So we should be ok. Don't forget to delete the associated jpg along with the mp4. The jpg is the thumb you see in the list along side the file.

11. Sboxer macrumors newbie

Hey Set845,

Thanks for the info. Have you tried the manage contact option? any success? I got the global video function to work per your technique, but vwallpaper crashes whenever i tried to manage individual contacts. Probably a bug that needs to be ironed out.

12. Set845 macrumors regular

I tried it out and yes it does crash when I select a video in the manage contact option. When that contact calls it plays the global vringtone anyway. I don't think the developer is going to continue support for this. Here's his website http://i.danstaface.net/site/. Too bad. I hope something else will come along.

13. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

A little late to the party but I just discovered this app and have to say its one of the coolest apps I've seen. My only problem is not being able to set up different videos as ringtones for individual contacts, it only does the global video. And if you un-install vWallpapers then re-install it, and don't choose a global ringtone, it doesn't work at all. Anyone find a solution?