vx nano, vx revolution, mx revolution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jer446, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new macbook pro for school next year. I really don't know what mouse i should buy. Right now i have an mx revolution for my desktop, and i love it. I like having the full sized mouse, but don't really want the dock to go along with it.

So i am deciding between the vx revolution and vx nano. What are your opinions on each? I love the micro receiver, so I wont need to plug and unplug it every time, but does that drain battery life?

2. Super Intendo macrumors regular

I have the VX Nano and i absolutely love it. I got it a few months ago and i haven't changed the battery once. I almost never turn it off and it gets alot of use. I never take the nano receiver out of my macbook! its tiny! i love it!

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am more concerned with the battery life of the laptop. Does the receiver drain the battery of the laptop drastically?

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Sorry to resurrect this thread,

but I believe there is minimal drain on your laptop battery..I mean its a tiny 2.4 ghz receiver..not a hdd that will need a lot of power.

I just wanted to say, I tried tried tried my best to like the nano. The receiver is fantastic, and the look is beautiful. But that dang mouse is too small. It cramps my hand to use it. The revolution is perfect for a right hander. Not too big not too small. I think I will be selling my nano.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Interesting...I went into Best Buy looking for the vx nano and walked away with the mx myself. I really wanted the nano but it felt too small, and since I was connecting this to a desktop anyway figured I should get the bigger one. I have not been disappointed...it's the best mouse I ever used.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the main reason why i like the vx over the mx is that the lifespan of the mx's rechargeable batteries become unbearable after a few months, optimistically requiring a weekly charge (two mx mice i've owned); the vx takes one AA battery, which you replace every few months. i also like the vx over the vx nano simply because it has so many more buttons, thus being more customizable. :)

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Got it for the new BMB when it comes out, for the wife, I use the MX Revolution daily on my 2.2 BMB, and have since January, started out with a set of charged rechargeable batteries, and have yet to change them:eek:
    Logitech, simply the best! PERIOD!:cool::D

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :eek: sold, e-mail me$$$

9. Eric. macrumors regular

I bought a VX Revolution just a couple of weeks ago from the Marketplace. The battery that JackArc left in it only indicates one light worth of power (unless the battery icon itself counts as one also) and has not changed in the time I've had it. And it has been doing full-time desktop duty until I get a Montevina MBP. I find myself liking it more than the G7 at times, though I'm sure I would still prefer the G7 for gaming. I'll really just be using it for mobile gaming, so ultimate portability isn't an issue. Its small enough and the fact that the receiver stores inside of it is a huge plus. Find a silver and black one if you can. I think Newegg only sells a black one.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the silver and black is the only model the vx comes in. it's hard to tell sometimes based on the pictures.

11. magid macrumors 6502

magid

The build quality in the mx revo is much better than the vx revo. My roommate had the vx and the buttons got mushy and felt creaky after the end of the year. My mx has held up a decent amount better. Also, the battery in mine isnt too bad, I would say every 3-4 weeks I need to charge it.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was looking at these mice not so long ago, the MX was my favourite looking but I couldn't make my mind up. I used to own a V500 (I think it was, a tiny wireless mouse) and even with my big hands it was mega comfy.

I don't think you'll go wrong with a Logitech mouse, whichever you pick.

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get a new mouse too, but would like a Bluetooth one so I don't have to use up one of my only 2 USB ports.

They make/are making a MX Revolution Bluetooth edition, but I think they're only selling it as part of the "MX5500" bluetooth keyboard+mouse combo for $125+ :(

14. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

Nano

I am in love with my nano that I have been using at work for a couple months. Battery life is great and I don't think it is anymore of a drain on the battery than a normal mouse would be. I have used the laptop with my touchpad and with my nano on battery power and it lasts about the same. If you plan on taking it around a lot I would go with the nano. Has a nice little case for the mouse (not sure if revolution does) and you never have to pull the receiver out of laptop.

15. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Had the MX Rev at my last job; total garbage. Used it with a DELL Notebook. Also tried it with the iMac and MB, same. Got the MS BlueTooth for the MB, and no issues at all. No dongle/receiver. Turn it on, and go...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Really, the best way to choose a mouse is to put your hands on it. It's such a tough decision otherwise. It's not just the size of the mouse or size of your hand; it's also the shape and the way you feel most comfortable. I have medium to large hands, but I'm used to resting my palm on the desk and moving the mouse with my fingertips.

The VX Nano works perfectly for this, plus it has incredible battery life, 5 programmable buttons, a high-speed scrolling wheel which I use constantly, and has a travel case, which most mice I liked didn't have. I would have preferred a bluetooth mouse, but Logitech has very few choices and none were appealing to me. I'll keep the Nano until they come out with a bluetooth version of it!