Vydeo Cancelled their Mini DP to DP cables... :/

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmcbride, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dmcbride macrumors newbie

I thought this was a tad disturbing...what do you guys think? I call BS.

Isn't this "form of digital media copyright protection" pretty standard in the industry at this point? To not support it, doesn't this really disable one from playing a huge portion of digital media?

Vydeo makes it sound as if this is just from Apple's legal department or something.

2. fathom macrumors newbie

This is strange indeed, and definitely unfortunate. My understanding was that the mini displayport to displayport conversion would simply be two different connectors with wires going from one pin on one connector to one pin on the other connector: a direct conversion. Why or how digital rights management affects this in any way completely confuses me. In other words, if Apple introduced DRM into their mini displayport (which it has), the DRM is in the circuitry inside the laptop (and inside the display), not in the cable.

3. fathom macrumors newbie

I wonder if, and this is pure speculation, they developed some prototypes and found that they didn't work because the DRM wasn't enabled on today's monitors. For example, today, Dell and HP make 30" monitors that have DisplayPort inputs. If Vydeo tried out their prototype cables and found that they didn't work because the MacBook sensed that the display to which it was connected was not DRM enabled, I can see Vydeo throwing its hands in the air and saying that they do not want to get involved. Otherwise, they could have many upset customers demanding refunds, etc. even though it is not the cable's fault.

Again, I want to be clear: this is pure speculation with absolutely no basis. But, it's the only plausible explanation that I can think of right now.

This is a smack in the face to me --- someone that has been waiting and waiting to properly use my displayport-enabled 30" monitor at its native resolution.

4. dmcbride thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I had thought - and essentially replied to them with.

It seems odd to me this is one of the last cables to come out considering it has absolutely not converting going on.

If more companies start pulling cables from distribution, there is going to be a whole lot more problems.

To think that Vydeo had this cable near complete /weeks/ ago...I have to wonder if there is alot more going on behind the scenes than we realize.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It seems to me you've got two kinds of miscommunication going on. Whoever sent the original email was asking about an adapter cable, but got a response about video conversion.

Vydeo is a video conversion firm--software, processing, circuitry. They are not a cable manufacturer. The response, therefore, refers to video signal processing and conversion. They were likely assuming that the original poster was asking about something other than a simple adapter cable.

6. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Apple's implementation of DP employs HDCP, I don't see how that would directly involve Apple's legal team; HDCP isn't an Apple DRM.