VZ iPhone 4 earbud controls not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Anotoneher, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Anotoneher macrumors member

Decided to go out for a jog today, loaded music in the new iP4 and... my earbud volume controls don't work. Did a ton of googling but can't find any results about a fix/setting option/known issues, etc.

I plugged the earbuds in my nano and the volume control works, plug the same earbuds in the iP4 and they don't function. FYI: these are the earbuds that came with the phone.

2. tmzn32 macrumors newbie

make sure you EQ and Volume limits are set to 'OFF' in settings-> Ipod

3. Anotoneher thread starter macrumors member

They're both already off.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

A hunch that likely isn't the case:

Settings > Sounds > Change with Buttons. Make sure it says on. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

Otherwise, do you have another pair of headphones to try it with? If you don't I suggest making an appointment with the Genius Bar to have them test the iPhone.

5. Anotoneher thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it was already on =/

I tried all my earbud headphones and none of them work. Weirdly enough I can adjust the volume manually on the phone but not on the earbud controls itself.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if it was working before then is probably dust inside the headphone jack that you can remove w/ a pin/needle...

7. Anotoneher thread starter macrumors member

Phone is 3 days old so I doubt it's dust, and I looked in the port and there's nothing in there.

The mic works, audio is perfect... volume controls don't work.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then it's likely those contacts aren't working. Return it or exchange it at an Apple store/Genius Bar.

9. Anotoneher thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking it's the contacts on the phone since it works on my co-workers iP4 (just tried it 30 seconds ago). I'll head over to the G-Bar then.

Thanks!

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Definitely sounds like it. Considering how the contacts are in the iPhone 4 they probably never, for a lack of words, popped back out when you removed headphones before or never were in the first place.