VZ not for me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JimKirk, Mar 3, 2011.

1. JimKirk macrumors 6502

I returned my Verizon iphone and ported back to ATT.

Just my experience not necessarily for everyone.

I felt it was too much of a downgrade.

We all know the limitations of the iphone on their network so I won't go into that.

I just wanted to relay my experience after a month of use.

The build quality is excellent. Data speeds are anemic compared to ATT

That and the issues with conference calling sealed the deal for me.

2. imiller913 macrumors member

What are the issues with conference calling ??

3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

From other threads I've read I think the difference in conference calling is that on AT&T it is actually conference calling while Verizon only offers 3 way calling. So on AT&T you can have more than 3 people on a call where Verizon is limited to 3.

4. imiller913 macrumors member

Wow ok I didnt know that

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I agree that the data speeds are a lot slower on Verizon, especially uploads. But for me, having slower data everywhere is better than having fast data in a couple of spots. Plus, where I work and live, and spend 85 percent of my time, there is no AT&T 3G, only Edge, and the Verizon 3G speeds are pretty fast here. So for me, it's a no-brainer to stay with Verizon, although anytime I'm at a place that I know AT&T had fast data, I think to myself, man, maybe I shouldn't have switched. haha. But in the end, it was the right decision for me.

Good thing we have two networks to choose from now, huh?

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Depends on your location. Where I spend 85% of my time I get equal coverage with ATT and VZW with ATT having significantly faster data speed.

Depends on location. If I was in your situation I would be with the carrier that provides the best coverage.

Where are you located? ATT is expanding and improving coverage projected to be complete soon.

7. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

As others have stated its what works best for you. Carrier choice is a awesome thing for the cadilac of smart phones.

For me? I sold my ATT iPhone 4 on eBay very recently in order to get on Verizon. Why? I work in the basement of a building that has no reception, so management had a Verizon antenna run down from the roof. My ATT iPhone could barely keep one bar, flipped to edge very frequently, and was horrible with calls going straight to Voice.

I'm smooth as silk on the Verizon iPhone.

So for me, it was a no brainer. I could care less if my USA Today app or my Amazon.com app takes a smidge longer to load. At least I know its actually GOING to load.

8. Davichi macrumors 6502

Negative. It all depends on where you live. VZ internet speed is absolutely pathetic in my area compare to AT&T's HSDPA speed. iPhone 4 gets 3-5 Mbps, and VZ iphone 4 doesn't even come close to that.

I am not going to consider VZ iphone 4 until LTE network is ready for prime time.

I will compare both of them again in 2012 or 2013.

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

AT&T's expansion conveniently pretty much wraps right around my area, while not including my area. Verizon, meanwhile, is putting up a couple of towers. So again, doesn't make sense for me to be on AT&T over Verizon.

Now, in two years when my VZW contract is up, maybe AT&T will have improved enough to switch back. But I doubt it. We're in a rural area, and AT&T has always neglected us. But we had good Alltel here, so when Verizon came over, that became the network for our area.

10. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I did the same thing. Hope your experience is better than mine on getting refunds for the returned phones. I fedex'd mine back 5 days after receipt. Verizon signed for them and it took 15 days before they opened the box to receipt in the phones - which is not quite accurate. I sent two phones back and they only refunded me for 1 phone. Took another 5 days to get a refund for the 2nd phone.

Good luck!

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

CDMA is outdated technology and reason enough to stay away from Verizon and Sprint.

Those who know don't drink the "it's the best network" Kool Aid. All networks have their pro's and con's.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If all networks have pros and cons, why would you then say one should stay away from Verizon and Sprint?

I'd like to see you try to make a call here on your AT&T phone. Not saying AT&T is bad. Saying AT&T has little to no service here. I may as well just say that 1800MHz/1900MHz GSM is a new but inferior technology that should be avoided at all costs due to poor structure penetration until it is entirely replaced with 700MHz LTE.

We're all very glad AT&T works well for you. More power to ya, bro.

13. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Finally nice to see a thread with VZW and AT&T in it where it's not a total bashfest. Actual good point being made here.

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

This has always been the problem with picking the device first and the carrier second.

At least now it is more likely that you can pick the best carrier for your area without compromising on the device.

15. HXGuy macrumors 68000

For me, the ability to use voice and data at the same time is probably the most important feature keeping me to ATT.

I know some people say "How often are you really going to need that?" but I find that I do pretty often, especially now that I'm more aware of it, I notice it more. For example, just yesterday I was using the Maps app and my phone rang so I started talking. I put the person on speaker and was still able to use the Maps app, which I assume using a VZ iPhone it would not work (the blue dot would still move but the map itself wouldn't update, right?). Another instance that happens pretty often is using my iPhone to wifi tether via MyWi to my iPad. I can still use the internet on my iPad if someone calls.

16. jctevere macrumors 6502

EXACTLY. I find this feature very useful. I may not use it much, but when I do its awesome. Especially for younger people like me trying to make plans... I can put the phone on speaker and ask what they want to do and lookup movie times and get instant feedback.

Another BIG use. When I am using streaming turn by turn (such as Waze) and I get a call, my gps will still work and will come through my bluetooth in the car. Still getting navigation directions when on the phone.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, also while Im tethering to my laptop I can still receive calls without my file download or internet session beeing interupted.;)

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get set for a VZW lover to come on and state "Why would I ever need that?" :)

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, its not a disadvantage its a feature to VZ fanboys:D

20. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Agreed, I'm frequently tethering my MBP while talking on the phone.

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

and we have a Verizon fanboy! :rolleyes:

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Been using simultaneous voice/data alot lately. Was on hold with a vendor for about 10 minutes today cause they needed to check something. It was nice to be able to put my iphone on speaker and check my email, and get some info online.

23. Jmill79 macrumors newbie

A thing you AT&T folks have to remember is that as a VZ customer, Ive never even had the option of doing this (for that matter, Ive never even thought of doing this until I started reading about it online)

Would I use it if I had it, sure, I think its pretty cool to be able do so. However I dont miss it/ or need it as Ive never had it.

24. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

CDMA is way better in my opinion for one main reason. Building penetration. Verizon and Sprint phones work perfectly in Basement offices and skyscrapers in Chicago. Where both T-mobile and ATT have like zero signal in Basements and deep inside buildings.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That might be because the building in question has a CDMA antenna built in.