Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm getting about 5 hrs 3G

Normal or Reject?

Apple says 7

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

How much are you playing with it? And are you leaving wifi on even when you aren't using wifi networks? Mine is getting closer to ten hours. Also, have you been closing apps that might be running in the background?

iJason87

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

jessica. said:
Sounds decent enough. Did you calibrate it?

How do you calibrate the battery?

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010

How do you calibrate the battery?

http://blog.io101.org/wp-content/ca...battery-indicator-on-iphone-3g//index.html.gz

Inaccurate battery indicator on your iPhone 3G? (would assume for all iPhones as well)

Have you ever wondered about the accuracy of the battery indicator and the 20% and 10% warnings on your iPhone 3G? After a couple of months or in some cases after an iPhone OS update the battery indicator may need some re-calibration.

Re-calibration of the battery indicator on iPhone 3G

However, if you experience a strange behavior of the battery indicator e.g. 20% and 10% warnings coming very soon but operation sustains for a relatively long time afterwards, then you might consider re-calibrating your iPhone’s battery indicator manually.

This can be done in 3 easy steps. You won’t loose any data and this procedure will not destroy your battery though it will add another cycle to the counter (So does every regular charging cycle).

1. Reset your iPhone by holding down the sleep/wake button and the Home button simultaneously until your iPhone resets. Ignore any pop-up messages and keep holding down both buttons until the screen turns black and the Apple logo appears. Now it’s ready to learn new values for the capacity of its battery.
2. Discharge your iPhone until it turns off automatically. The battery has reached a minimum level and the iPhone won’t turn on again. It shows you an emtpy battery icon and indicates to recharge. You don’t have to force a full discharge, you can just use it as usual until it turns itself off. To deplete your battery faster turn on 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS (Location Services) and turn up the brightness to max. Then run a video or just start Skype which is an excellent app to drain your battery quickly even without doing anything.
3. Fully charge your iPhone. That’s it, just charge it to the max and your iPhone learned the lowest and highest capacity levels of its battery.

Now the battery indicator should show you an accurate level of its charge and decrease more linear during operation.
Should I be worried or bring my iPhone to service?

There’s nothing to worry about, this is a normal behavior for any device using rechargeable batteries as a power source. Most batteries have a limited life span and will lose some capacity over time. Especially the full capacity of a lithium type battery will decrease over time (after increasing a bit during the first couple of cycles) and should be replaced after 2-3 years. In most cases even older lithium batteries will allow you to operate your device but with a dramatically reduced operating time.

This is neither a new trick nor is it a hack. I found this in the Apple support forums a long time ago and just wanted to post this as a reminder. I just got a new iPhone 3G from Apple after the knob of the ring/silent switch came off from my old one. It was a bit loose and the guy in the Apple Store completely broke it off during inspection. He instantly gave me a new iPhone 3G and deleted all data from my old one. Then I went home, put the new iPhone into the dock and restored it from my last backup that morning. 1h later I had all my data back and all my apps running. I didn’t lose anything, even my call logs and text messages were back.

Operating time on my new iPhone 3G is still a bit weak (1 day with 3G/Wi-Fi/GPS on and moderate usage) but increasing after a few charging cycles. My old iPhone 3G did stand 3 (sometimes 4) days with 3G/Wi-Fi on and Bluetooth/GPS off when used sparsely.
Great service from Apple! Thanks.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
You've had it what 10-11 days tops? Mine took about a month to finally start giving me some stable run times. Just saying, maybe it needs a bit more time before you start considering a replacement.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
At 6:30 am i had full charge. Now it's 8:30 pm and I'm at 27%. Been using it a lot today, mostly web, Facebook, email, some light phone and texting.

Overall I'd have to say happy with the battery life so far.

Last edited:

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I found an Apple support document that suggested disabling push and using a less frequent fetch schedule. It also suggested disabling location services until you need them. Those two things appear to have made a huge difference for me. However, I can't be positive those changes are solely responsible.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
Looking at my phone right now,

Time since last full charge,

Usage: 2hrs, 11 min
Standby 15hrs, 39 mins

Still showing 67%

My Droid Inc would be just about dead by now with the same usage pattern.

shikari89

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Oregon
Here is mine. This is from lite texting, Hour of music and nike +, an hour mixture of 3g and wifi browsing, and some facebook. My phone is jailbroken so that might have a little effect on the battery.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 14, 10 05 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 14, 10 05 25 PM.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 44

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The battery on my VZW iPhone is, as expected, getting a little better as time goes on. A few charge cycles are required to condition new batteries.

While it ultimately may use more power than its GSM counterparts, I'm satisfied with the battery life. If it gets though a 24 hour period (which it does), then I'm happy.

iphoneIA

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Iowa
It is 8:20 pm where I am at my Iphone is reading:

Usage: 4 Hours, 14 minutes
Standby: 13 Hours, 44 minutes

Battery Percentage is at 76%

Since I am new to my Iphone I am not sure what it means but to me it seems really good. I think that I am on my phone all the time; facebook, games, news, emails, texts and I am really happy with the battery life so far.

I heard that waiting a month or so you get a good ideas where your battery is on a more exact scale.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Alabama
While the battery does seem like it's draining pretty quickly, it's probably because we're using our iphones more than usual...the VZ unlimited data plan doesn't help either ; )

kardiackeith

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
It is 8:20 pm where I am at my Iphone is reading:

Usage: 4 Hours, 14 minutes
Standby: 13 Hours, 44 minutes

Battery Percentage is at 76%

Since I am new to my Iphone I am not sure what it means but to me it seems really good. I think that I am on my phone all the time; facebook, games, news, emails, texts and I am really happy with the battery life so far.

I heard that waiting a month or so you get a good ideas where your battery is on a more exact scale.

Posts like this make me think my battery blows.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
I LOVE THIS PHONE..

I've had the same questions you had when I had the ATT version, and now I have vIphone and experienced the same issues.

do the battery calibration as someone suggested. and let your phone be. The battery will run fine after about two weeks.

If your in an area with Crappy network it will drain a little faster than normal.

Onthelo

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Santa Clara - Bay Area
My battery sucked the first few days ..I recieved mine in the am of th 7th. It has just started to get better lasting through the day I think it takes a while to get calibrated , you should see improvements over the next couple weeks if not take it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.