Carrier VZW Carrier Settings Update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kat.hayes, May 23, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

Aside from iOS update messages, I am now receiving a message indicating that there are Carrier Settings Updates available. Anyone have any idea what this is? And, where do I even go if I want to manually select to get the update?

Thanks.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I received it too. This is normal and I've been receiving them for over a year, usually after an iOS upgrade. You can manually check for these updates by going to Settings -> General -> About. I believe these updates have something to do with carrier firmware upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

3. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Carrier Settings updates are just that... proprietary to your network service provider... and contain things like preferred roaming lists (PRLs), network specific paths to default services, and other bits of data that allow your device to connect to and use the provider's network.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

That's the best explanation I've ever heard, and I've heard many. Thank you.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm actually disappointed. I used to get 4-5 bars everywhere with Verizon and now I seem to linger around 2 bars.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bars are very misleading.
    I wouldn't depend just on those dots.
    Sometimes it shows you have full bars and you get like 1mbps speeds and bad service.
    They are displayed any way the carriers selects. You could show 4 dots everywhere and have crappy service.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

yeah I know but its the only actual reference I have. Sometimes I have 5 dots and crappy internet speed, other times its 2 dots and good speeds. Dunno why the dots are even there if they don't mean anything.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Did we (Verizon customers) have the wifi calling setting available before the update? I haven't turned it on because I don't need it but I don't remember it being there.

image.png

9. I7guy macrumors G5

It's been there a while....I think 9.2.

10. blcfla macrumors regular

Not sure if I'm wrong but think I read somewhere this carrier update gives Wifi Calling to those even without the iOS update that brought it in for VZW..

11. I7guy macrumors G5

That could very well be. In any event it's good for the customer.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    There was an article a while ago that a certain carrier even on low or bad signal it displayed full bars on devices.
    Very misleading.
    It then makes you blame the other person you're calling instead of your wireless provider since you have "full signal" :D lol

13. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sometimes carriers will introduce settings that disable certain functions that will yield greater profit for them.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Like (especially as it applies to this update)? :confused:

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Ever since I accepted this update I've been having trouble with iMessages randomly not delivering to recipients. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or LTE, or if it's a text message only or text and photos. Anyone else having this issue?

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope

17. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

My already somewhat slow speeds have went to absolute crap with this update on my SE.

18. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

The dots indicate the signal strength, not the speed. It doesn't take into account if the tower is congested or not. More bars = better battery life.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Interesting, I'm on Verizon and have not gotten one of those Carrier Settings Updates. What is it for ?

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Basically the types of things mentioned earlier at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vzw-carrier-settings-update.1974016/#post-22928401

Often they are simply bundled with iOS updates and get updated when those updates are installed. Sometimes they are released separately from iOS updates and will at some point show up on their own or by going to Settings > General > About.

21. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Scroll up to post #3... go to settings>> general>> about - Carrier entry - you should have Verizon 24.1 unless Verizon hasn't made it available in your market yet... you'll be prompted to update if available by going into settings-general-about...

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I understand what your saying but if there is no network congestion wouldn't I get more bandwidth with 5 dots compared to 2 dots? Doesn't signal strength also impact throughput?

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Exactly correct

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Since the number of dots don't really indicate whether or not you can place a call or how fast your data will be they may as well replace it with signal/ no signal.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess you can think of them more along the lines of how hard your phone has to work to keep the connection.