Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Carrier VZW Carrier Settings Update?

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Aside from iOS update messages, I am now receiving a message indicating that there are Carrier Settings Updates available. Anyone have any idea what this is? And, where do I even go if I want to manually select to get the update?

Thanks.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Aside from iOS update messages, I am now receiving a message indicating that there are Carrier Settings Updates available. Anyone have any idea what this is? And, where do I even go if I want to manually select to get the update?

Thanks.
I received it too. This is normal and I've been receiving them for over a year, usually after an iOS upgrade. You can manually check for these updates by going to Settings -> General -> About. I believe these updates have something to do with carrier firmware upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Reactions: kat.hayes
Comment

kch50428

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
North Iowa
Carrier Settings updates are just that... proprietary to your network service provider... and contain things like preferred roaming lists (PRLs), network specific paths to default services, and other bits of data that allow your device to connect to and use the provider's network.

Comment

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Carrier Settings updates are just that... proprietary to your network service provider... and contain things like preferred roaming lists (PRLs), network specific paths to default services, and other bits of data that allow your device to connect to and use the provider's network.
That's the best explanation I've ever heard, and I've heard many. Thank you.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm actually disappointed. I used to get 4-5 bars everywhere with Verizon and now I seem to linger around 2 bars.

Bars are very misleading.
I wouldn't depend just on those dots.
Sometimes it shows you have full bars and you get like 1mbps speeds and bad service.
They are displayed any way the carriers selects. You could show 4 dots everywhere and have crappy service.

Comment

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Bars are very misleading.
I wouldn't depend just on those dots.
Sometimes it shows you have full bars and you get like 1mbps speeds and bad service.
They are displayed any way the carriers selects. You could show 4 dots everywhere and have crappy service.

yeah I know but its the only actual reference I have. Sometimes I have 5 dots and crappy internet speed, other times its 2 dots and good speeds. Dunno why the dots are even there if they don't mean anything.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Did we (Verizon customers) have the wifi calling setting available before the update? I haven't turned it on because I don't need it but I don't remember it being there.

image.png

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
yeah I know but its the only actual reference I have. Sometimes I have 5 dots and crappy internet speed, other times its 2 dots and good speeds. Dunno why the dots are even there if they don't mean anything.

I hear you.
There was an article a while ago that a certain carrier even on low or bad signal it displayed full bars on devices.
Very misleading.
It then makes you blame the other person you're calling instead of your wireless provider since you have "full signal" :D lol

Comment

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Sometimes carriers will introduce settings that disable certain functions that will yield greater profit for them.

Comment

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Ever since I accepted this update I've been having trouble with iMessages randomly not delivering to recipients. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or LTE, or if it's a text message only or text and photos. Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
The dots indicate the signal strength, not the speed. It doesn't take into account if the tower is congested or not. More bars = better battery life.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Comment

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Interesting, I'm on Verizon and have not gotten one of those Carrier Settings Updates. What is it for ?

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Interesting, I'm on Verizon and have not gotten one of those Carrier Settings Updates. What is it for ?
Basically the types of things mentioned earlier at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vzw-carrier-settings-update.1974016/#post-22928401

Often they are simply bundled with iOS updates and get updated when those updates are installed. Sometimes they are released separately from iOS updates and will at some point show up on their own or by going to Settings > General > About.

Comment

kch50428

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
North Iowa
Scroll up to post #3... go to settings>> general>> about - Carrier entry - you should have Verizon 24.1 unless Verizon hasn't made it available in your market yet... you'll be prompted to update if available by going into settings-general-about...

Comment

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The dots indicate the signal strength, not the speed. It doesn't take into account if the tower is congested or not. More bars = better battery life.

I understand what your saying but if there is no network congestion wouldn't I get more bandwidth with 5 dots compared to 2 dots? Doesn't signal strength also impact throughput?

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since the number of dots don't really indicate whether or not you can place a call or how fast your data will be they may as well replace it with signal/ no signal.
I guess you can think of them more along the lines of how hard your phone has to work to keep the connection.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.