VZW Early Edge old device return requirement Qs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uttrekr, Sep 21, 2014.

1. uttrekr macrumors member

I was taken by surprise when I got the iphone 6 and there were instructions to return my current device. I gather its my "payment" for getting out of the contract as there is a $200 penalty. 2 questions if anyone has done this yet:
    1. How do they track this? My package had a FedEx box and 2 USPS labels to a VZ center - no slip to put in the box and the 2 labels had different tracking numbers. I cant help but wonder if they'll know to "credit" me on the rerun.
    2. How specific are they about the device? I've got an older smartphone lying around and am very tempted to send it and sell the iphone 5. Probably sneaky but so is not telling me about this when I placed the order.

2. mets1125 macrumors regular

I would like to know also. I did it thru the apple store and I did not get a fed ex slip or usps slip. Did you return an older phone?

3. dtjn macrumors newbie

I was told I would have to turn in my current device. I have an old iPhone 4 that I wanted to turn in as opposed to the 5.

4. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you do an early edge upgrade, Verizon wants back the phone that you upgraded from, that being your i5. If you decide to send them some random phone, they'll charge you.

5. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I went through Apple Store too. They told me I would have to contact Verizon for the kit. I called them and they are mailing it to me...

I was told you have to turn in THE device that you bought subsidized that initiated the 2 year contract. You can't just return any old device you have lying around...

6. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Guys if you do an early edge upgrade, you have send back the phone that you're upgrading from. I edge'd up too and I have to send back my 5S. Another thing is your phone has to be in good condition. Meaning it can't be cracked, water damaged, ect. Or else Verizon will charge you. They also want you to turn the phone in, within 2wks after getting the new phone.

There should also be a FedEx label, that's has the trackin info on it. If you didn't get a label, then go to a Verizon store and they should be able to provide one for you.

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

Thanks guys.. I called vzw and they are sending me a kit that I should receive in 2 days and they also confirmed I have to return the iPhone 5.

8. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I work with best buy and we do this all the time, you do not have to send the original phone that you got with your upgrade, as long as it's a working phone and it's on your line right now then it's fine. We have been doing this for a while and they even tell customers the same at the verizon store. We do this when customers have cracked phones (you are charged $200 if your phone has cracks or is not working properly) so they don't care as long as it's a working smartphone. Believe me, they want you on edge! They want customers to move away from 2 year contracts.

9. Jimf1234 macrumors newbie

you can upgrade from any phone. I activated a droid 2 on my account and then went in and used early edge. They took the droid 2 and I kept my note 3.

10. Big Worm macrumors newbie

If the phone has a very small crack on the case bottom, is that okay?

11. crex23 macrumors newbie

My Verizon store gave me a bubble mailer with first class postage attached to send back my 5s. I was going to mail it with insurance since the bubbler mailer is pretty flimsy, but the po clerk said I couldn't. I'm seriously considering taking it to UPS and letting them box it up, insure it, and mail it. The $20 cost to me beats paying for a $650 phone that never arrived back to Verizon. What are your thoughts? Does anybody actually drop a $650 phone in an uninsured bubble mailer and just hope it gets there?

12. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I received an insert for a box that holds the phones and I've mailed away an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. I wasn't too worried about it, it's Verizon's policy and I have the tracking numbers.