VZW offering 16GB iPhone 6 free with trade-in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CMan0928, Sep 9, 2014.

1. CMan0928 macrumors member

Yup. Trade in an iPhone 4 or newer and get a $200 gift card, thus making the iPhone 6 free. Not bad. But, of course, a new two year activation is necessary. VZW says pre-orders open soon.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/iphone/

2. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Makes sense to do that with a 4 or 4S, but no way with a 5 or 5S.

3. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

Totally agree. I kinda scratched my head at that.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Does this work even if you're not eligible for an upgrade yet, IE, I have the 5s, so I am not eligible until Jan of 2016. Can I still do this, get the 6 now, and just start a new 2 year contract essentially?

5. mikeydooodie macrumors member

yes you can open a new line, put it on a family plan move that new iPhone 6 to your current number and then put a dummy phone on the new line with no texts or data and just sharing minutes with your phone. i did that years ago when the iPhone 4 came to big red and i had no upgrades, i had to open 2 lines for a phone for me and my wife, we had horrible blackberry storms and now i have an upgrade every year bc of that cycle bc i have 4 lines. now its a family plan so every things shared and i use 2 old flip phones to put on the 2 lines i don't use. it didn't cost me any more a month in contract either maybe 5 bucks or so

6. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

Add a line and you should be good.

7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I did the same thing a while ago, but Verizon now has changed it ( Aug 24) and you have to keep the data plan on it. Check it out.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

That little trick doesn't work anymore buddy.

Sorry to tell u. U can't take off data anymore. Verizon closed that little trick weeks ago.

They force u to carry data on any subsidized smartphone for 24 months regardless if u switch back to dummy phone.

9. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

That is correct. This loophole has been closed.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

From what I understand, wouldn't that not be necessary with this deal? They even specify that you can trade in an iPhone 5s - obviously, if you have that, there's a good chance that you are not eligible for an upgrade for at least another year.

It seems that I could just trade in my current 5s, start a new contract, pay the $200 subsidized upgrade fee, and then get the gift card.

Am I reading this incorrectly?

11. mikeydooodie macrumors member

i have no data plan on the phone that had the upgrade. on verizons site you can switch the upgrade to another line and i will switch it to mine, will i still get hit with data charges?? I'm doing a family shared anyway right now as i used my upgrade to get the 5s so i lost unlimited but my wife recently bought her iPhone 5s outright so she didn't lose unlimited

12. josephd, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

josephd macrumors member

VZW offering 16GB iPhone 6 free with trade-in

IMHO, I see no point to adding a line.
    Now the phone isn't free, and you're tied to another line for 2 years.
    I have until May before I can upgrade. But I look at IOS 8 on my 5C as getting a new phone.
    Plus, I paid full price for my 5C which I am sure others have done the same.
    I feel the 5C is worth more than $200.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, you can sell the 5 or 5s for a lot more than $200.

14. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I just did a chat with a VZW CSR and ask if I needed to order from them or if I could order through Apple. I was mainly concerned with the 1gb of free data with upgrade, although I'm taking advantage of the trade-in also. They said in order to get the $200 trade-in and free data you must order through VZW. I don't see how it would effect the trade-in, but you apparently will NOT get the 1gb free data if you order through the Apple store. At least that is according to the Verizon rep I spoke with.