Carrier VZW Unlimited Data Loophole Closed with New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Sep 19, 2014.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I was planning to use the method where you buy a subsidized phone using an upgrade (purchased through Apple.com for a Verizon phone), and then cut up the sim card that came with the phone and insert my old activated sim in the phone.

It worked fine in the past, but it looks like this time, when trying to activate the phone, it detected the original number that was tied to the upgrade instead of just following through to the home screen.

If I follow through with the activation, is it going to kill my unlimited data?

Ex: I used line "1234" that had unlimited data to purchase the iphone on Apple.com. I was going to insert nano sim with line "5678" into that phone, and cut up the "1234" sim.

After inserting sim "5678" into the phone, when I try to activate the phone, I see a new screen I have never seen before that says "You are trying to activate line "1234" If you would like to switch lines, call 1-800-MyApple"

Despite switching sims, it looks like they detected the serial number of the phone being tied to the original upgrade.

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

this was the case last year then I attempted to do the same on AT&T. Had to use the SIM that came with it to activate.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I am surprised Verizon had a loophole like that. I knew there was some loophole, but that sounds too easy. Are you sure you did it right?

I would think you could use the upgrade on the "5678" number and then swap the sims so the unlimited plan would use the phone that was purchased on the other line.

4. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

You're supposed to buy the phone on a line that does not have unlimited data on it then switch to the line that does. I just called verizon today to do that with mine. I'm currently enjoying my iPhone 6+ with unlimited data and my dumb phone line has no data plan on it!