VZW Upgrade to iPhone 5: Lost my $15/Mo Data Plan !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scottyee, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Scottyee macrumors regular

When I recently upgraded on the Verizon Online Website (from a Droid Incredible to the iPhone 5), I didn't realize I'd lose my $15/mo (150 mg) Data Plan, and be switched to their $30/mo (2Gb) Data Plan instead. I realize that the $30/mo price's a lot cheaper per mg, but because I only use my cellphone's internet connect to p/u email + very light browsing (no streaming vid), I never went over 70mb/month during my 2 year Droid Incredible phone contract. In addition, since I've got a 1Gb/mo. $20 monthly re-occurring Data plan on my iPad 3, I'm always able to tether my cellphone to it (via iPad3's free hotspot feature) if needed.

I spoke with a Verizon tel agent (and then to the agent's Supervisor) to complain about being un-intentually switched to the $30 data plan, and she advised me that all Verizon iPhone 5 upgrades require the $30 minimal data plan or more, and that there's no provision for retaining grandfathered older lower rates. I told her that when I upgraded I didn't recall being asked to select a data plan, so assumed I would still be on my $15/mo. plan. She told me I was mistaken because she said when you upgrade online, you must 'select' one of the $30 and up data plan options shown before proceeding. I realize it was late (12:05am PDT) when I placed my iPhone 5 upgrade order, but want to confirm with others here who upgraded to the iPhone 5 online to see if you recall having to select from one of the $30+ data plan options as well.

From what I can see, I guess Verizon's got me over the barrel and I'm stuck paying $30/mo for a data plan which I will be only using 75mb/month now, as I live in an area where free wiFi is just about everywhere.

Your thoughts? :confused:

2. aneftp macrumors 601

The $15 150MB was a promotional plan I believe Verizon only offered for 2-3 months way back in late Dec 2010 or so.

Verizon's bean counters realized too many people were opting for this much cheaper plan and decreased their profit margins. So they got rid of it quickly.

When upgrading, you will lose any grandfathered data plan less than $30.

3. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I had that $15 data plan on my Blackberry Curve. It was enough. I changed it when I heard they were going to stop offering unlimited plans. If you only want $15 data and had it before they should let you keep it in my opinion.

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

if you would have paid full price for your phone you wouldnt have lost it, you should have just payed the $849. plus tax.

5. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, esp. considering my data usage history over the last 2 years has always remained well under the $15 plan's 150 mg/mo. allotment. That said, The Verizon Support Supervisor I spoke with said there was nothing Verizon could do to re-activate my $15 data plan because their computer system wouldnt allow it, or even accept a manual overide for that.

Chakraj: As far as opting to instead, purchase a 64gb iPhone5 at the full $849.99 price in order to retain the $15/mo data plan: Over a 2 year period, this would have been even more expensive than my $399.99 iPhone5 upgrade price with the $30/mo 2 Gb data plan.

In light of this, I've now decided to simply enjoy my new iPhone 5! It's a fantastic device. :cool:

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

AT&T would of gladly honored your grandfathered status. :cool:
    Plus AT&Ts $15 data plan gave each user 200MB instead of 150MB. :rolleyes:

7. Ryan- macrumors newbie

High priced data plans

It's a shame that the only way the cellular companies can make money is to require us to buy overpriced data plans which give us more data than we actually need.

8. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

I'm happy to report that after calling Verizon back a 2nd time to complain about losing the grandfathered $15/mo 150mb data plan I had before I upgraded to the iPhone 5, that they reviewed my situation (historical low cellular phone data usage) and decided to go ahead and reinstate my grandfathered $15/month plan on my new iPhone 5. I'm also able to tether (for free) my iphone 5 to my iPad 3's cellular data when ever needed. Thank you Verizon. :)

9. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Glad you got it back.

You have a few days after your plan changes to call back and switch back, so if it happens again, jump right on it cause you can't wait to long.