W drop thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hey all I want your opinion on this

Do W drops look bad on a transcript when applying for jobs?

I ask because here is my scenario. I am a 5th year mechanical engineering student who is number 2 in my class with a 3.96gpa. Because I went 5 years, I have had a difficult time this year esp of taking classes that will help for graduation requirements.

Last semester I was in 12 credits (full time) and had decided to w drop CFD (computational fluid dynamics...a grad class within my major). While this class was interesting and I had a strong A in it, I had decided to W drop it since I didn't need the class to graduate. The reason was this. I hated spending ~15hrs a week on the class for hw when it was nice outside and I didn't need it to graduate. Plus, by w dropping, I reamined on my parents health care plan since I was paying ful time tuition (w drop means a w on transcript but no tuition refund). In addition, I was able to keep all my financial aid. If i were to free drop (as in no record on transcript and tuition refund, it would change my status to part time and then financial aid would have been adjusted to the 9 credits i did take)

Now here rolls the spring semester, my last semester here at school. Once again I am in 12 credits. 3 of those credits are in some stupid class (not major related) that has 1 textbook that costs 220 dollars. Waaaay more than I have ever spent on any of my engineering texts. Because of this cost, I have not bought the book as that is quite a bit of money. Seeing how I am 2 weeks in to the semester and would be hard to pick up a new class now, the thought has crossed my mind to "hey I could w drop it"

benefits would be that I would once again stay on health plan as well as keep all aid

cons would be that there would be 2 semesters in a row in which i had w dropped. keep in mind that i had not w dropped a class prior to last semester so it would be 2 total. Just that the 2 would be in consecutive semesters.

So what are your thoughts? would this hurt my chances of getting a job? If not any other downside of it? or would you w drop it?

the cost of the w drop is this....saves me 220 on a book, lets me keep 100% of finacial aid and i get to be on health plan.

Thanks

ps: i think my issue is complete lack of motivation as i WILL graduate as Summa Cum Laude (only takes gpa until last semester) and as such have very little drive to take classes that dont help for graduation. Call it an extreme case of senioritis lol

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It has been a long time since I applied for my first job out of college, but I think it's safe to say that your 3.96 GPA (hopefully along with good references) are all that most potential employers are going to be looking at---not the blow by blow account laid out in your transcript.

It would be different if you were applying to graduate school, but as long as we're talking about your basic private sector engineering job, I don't think you need to worry about one or two withdrawals.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

would it really affect grad school chances you think?

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Can't speak for engineering, but for law school or a PhD in government/politics, no.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sorry, I should have written, "it might be different if you were applying to graduate school." Or even better: "I've never been involved in evaluating applications for graduate school and so I have no idea whether one or two withdrawals on an applicant's transcript are noteworthy." :D

Bottom line, I really don't think this is anything you need to worry about, especially with a GPA like yours.