Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2001
Norway
Anyone else noticed that when you transform and rotate anything rasterized in Photoshop you get those clearly visible jaggies along the edges? It looks really ugly. Can't believe I have to use 6.0 just to rotate graphics... :p

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
I can't say I've had a problem. There is a little jagginess (if that's a word) while you are previewing the transform, but when you accept it it's fine.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I can't say I have the problem you're describing. Like MikeH said, while you're previewing the transform it is jaggy, but after you accept it it is smoothed out...

Zenith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2001
Norway
Here's what i mean... Look at the square before and after rotate.

Strange that nobody else notices the problem.

Attachments

• jaggies.jpg
    jaggies.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 181

Zenith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2001
Norway
clearly, it has something to do with the interpolation. I've tried bilinear and "nearest neighbour" interpolation, but i only get an even worse result than with bicubic interpolation... I think I'll just reinstall Photoshop and see if the problem gets solved then.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Is that photo a screen grab or an actual outputted photoshop file? You know how sometimes Photoshop displays objects weird at non-uniform percentages (like 33.3%, 66.6%, etc.)

Zenith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2001
Norway
Heh... No, actually, it's an outputted file. A screen grab from 33,3 % or 66,6 % zoom would've looked even worse.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ouch, that's not good, somethings up'ck fupped

I'd definitely reinstall PS, hopefully that's all you need to do.

D

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Zenith
Heh... No, actually, it's an outputted file. A screen grab from 33,3 % or 66,6 % zoom would've looked even worse.

you are using raster graphics, not bector graphics. that square you have look perfect b/c it is right in line with the pixels on your screen. when you rotate it the pixels have to go up one, over one to show the square (diamond). that is why it looks jagged. just up your resolution and deal with it. no straight horizontal line will stay smooth when rotated, ever.:D

Zenith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by idkew

you are using raster graphics, not bector graphics. that square you have look perfect b/c it is right in line with the pixels on your screen. when you rotate it the pixels have to go up one, over one to show the square (diamond). that is why it looks jagged. just up your resolution and deal with it. no straight horizontal line will stay smooth when rotated, ever.:D

erm... sorry, but DOH! Of course the square isn't perfect when rotated to anything other than 90, 180, 270 and 360 degrees! Of course you'll see antialiasing unless you aren't working with black and white graphics. But can't you see those jaggies?? It looks like the square have been chopped to small pieces and put together the wrong way. It's only a matter of a pixel wrong here and there, but it gets even more clearly with complex graphics. And it looks really nasty and un-Photoshop-like. I've never seen this "bug" in the previous versions.

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
I see what you mean. It looks like someone has "kicked" the top of the square on the right. That picture looks simple enough to where PS& should have been able to handle it...interesting.

Attachments

• sharkflood.jpg
    sharkflood.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 107

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Zentih, I've just copied and pasted your image into Photoshop 7 and rotated the square on the left to roughly the same angle as yours and it looks fine - nothing like yours on the right.

Interpolation is set to Bicubic (default) in preferences.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by iH8Quark
Yo, beej

what the heck is a plam tree? :p
Damn... it's been like that for 2 weeks now... and you're the first to notice :)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
beej, we have all noticed, but avatars ain't in the top of the conversation list anymore

location,location

you have been watching to much TV

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
beej, we have all noticed, but avatars ain't in the top of the conversation list anymore
OK sorry... first to point it out, then.

I like that shark pic... took me a sec to realise there was something strange about it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.