W1 chip headset iPhone call issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ortiz3m, Apr 28, 2017.

1. ortiz3m macrumors newbie

ortiz3m

So I have both the AirPods and the BeatsX. I've noticed an issue with both devices and wondering if anyone else having the problem.

Headsets: AirPods, BeatsX
    Device: iPhone 7 AT&T 128GB
    iOS: 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 beta 5
    WiFi calling enabled LTE Voice Enabled
    Symptoms: When I answer or make a call sometimes the voice quality is unusable. The voice sounds like its super slowed down and robotic. This has happened both with WiFi calling enable and LTE Voice enabled. If I hang the call up and make the same call again it sounds fine.

On AirPods tried updating firmware, disconnected reconnected. Deleted bluetooth and reset. Made sure I wasn't in a high bluetooth used area.

Thanks

2. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I've had this problem with my AirPods as well. Happens once or twice a week. Hanging up and calling again fixes it. It seems like it often happens when I'm leaving work and my phone has just transitioned from office WiFi to cellular.

It's a minor annoyance and I assume a future software update will fix it. I'm guessing it's some kind of issue with the W1 drivers.

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Same here... if im listening music and someone calls me it has been useless even trying to say anything. the sound is blurred, unusable and cutting words. When the call ends, and the music start playing again, everything is fine. But the call quality was rubbish.

Then i call back, it works, but the audio quality isnt good at all - even my 4yo samsung bt headset bought by 20euros sounds better than airpods.

I have no idea why the call quality is awful and while listening music they sound excellent. My phone is 6S+.

4. rjpremodeling macrumors newbie

I have experienced the same problem for the past year and a half. It's not limited to the W1 chip. It was happening with a pair of LG Bluetooth headsets.