W7 BootCamp - diminishes external display

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Danneman101, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Danneman101 macrumors 6502

I'm running W7 pro on an iMac (2011, 21.5, budget model, SnowLeopard) using BootCamp, and using an external display (24 inch) since my eyes can't cope with the glare.

The external display's native resolution is 1920x1080, same as the iMac, but the image that is outputted is smaller in size. The resolution seems to be fine, but there is a black frame of around 2 cm effectively diminishing the 24 incher to around 21.5 inch.

I've tried both mirroring the image and running the external display solo - same result. The iMac's screen is normal, however.

Running Mac OS X on the iMac outputs a perfect image to the external screen.

Any ideas?

2. Danneman101 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing nobody using BootCamp with Mac Mini has this problem?

The graphics drivers are the latest according to Windows, btw.

3. Sabeltann macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem with my 2011 mini with the Radeon HD 6630M graphics card.

My screen's an ACER S243HL LED and the display at 1920x1080 is a great fit on the macos, and it has been fine when connected up to a proper windows pc.

But with Boot Camp at the same resolution, there are thick black borders and text in particular seems distorted. I wondered if it this was something that could be configured in the display settings, but the gfx drivers that installed with bootcamp don't seem to have any such option. It also seems like I'm not able to get newer drivers or catalyst control center direct from ATI.

It's quite frustrating as the only reason I installed bootcamp because the mini has better gaming spec than my current pc, but with the distorted graphics, its not much use.

4. Garen, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Here is the Solution!

With AMD base video/graphis card and Acer displays and some other displays you need to go in AMD VIsion Engine Control Center (latest version) - Click on My Digital Flat-panel then choose Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel), make sure it is at 0% Overscan and the Box in un-checked.:)

Good Luck and happy computing:)
    Garen

5. Sabeltann, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

Sabeltann macrumors newbie

Hi Garen, I just saw your reply and wanted to say thanks. I'll look into this properly when I get home, I don't remember seeing anything called AMD Vision Control Center installed, but I'll try and figure it out.

*Update*
    This solved the problem for me, although it was a bit of a saga...
    My bootcamp installation didnt initally have catalyst control center or vision control center installed, and was unable to install it using the installer obtained directly from ATI because of an error where my computer did not contain a 'proper graphics adapter'.
    However by using the catalyst installer included in the bootcamp support files, I got CCC installed and could set the option as you recommended.