W7 install, have serial#, but not the install disc.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lone Deranger, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Hi everybody,

this is probably a question better asked on a Microsoft forum, but I fear to go to such places. ;)

So here's my dilemma... About year ago I bought a retail version of Windows 7 64-bit Professional and installed it on a Bootcamp partition of my 17" MacBook Pro. Then a month ago, in preparation for a house move/immigration, I decided to sell the machine and thus wiped the HD clean and reformatted and reinstalled OSX but left off the W7 partition, deciding to keep that myself.
    However, the sale didn't go through and now the MBP is boxed up and in transit to my destination address. As is my W7 install disc...

So I find myself here, with a new Mac laptop, wanting/needing to install W7 once again (to run my license of Autodesk Softimage). Thankfully I added the W7 serial number to my 'Key chain' so I still have access to it. The question thus becomes; Is there some way to install W7 without having access to my original install disc? Can I download the install software somewhere? And how do I go about activating my license on my new machine?

Thanks for reading! :)

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

You can get an iso image of windows 7 from lots of places. During the install process it will ask for the product key, and there you go!

3. Lone Deranger thread starter macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Thank you gentlemen... Are such places and such ISO's legal? I wouldn't want to end up with a dodgy install.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

It is perfectly legal to download a copy of the operating system as an ISO. Its the product key that makes it work that's worth money.

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

as long as you did purchase the software and it came with a coa and is both in your possession

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you search, you can find a download link that is hosted on Microsoft's own servers. (Or, their digital-distribution partner, Digital River, anyway.)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which is linked in post #2 of this thread :)