W7 not saving share credentials.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FortWorthMac, Oct 28, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I had been running W7 RTM and VMware 2 with no problems. Yesterday I got my copy of W7 in the mail and I upgraded to VMware 3. I installed W7 with no problems on VMware.

The problem I am having now is upon rebooting W7 the shared folder I have mapped in W7 does not save my user name and password. I have to enter them each time. I AM checking the box to save the information. Any idea what I'm missing or is this going to be a bug in W7? FWIW the shared folder is on my iMac.

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Was your RTM Ultimate and is the retail Home Premium?

Home versions of Windows typically have not cached credentials.

B

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and Yes.

I'll research a crack or hack around this.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good luck! It's one of the limitations of Home versions of Windows to stop business users from buying that instead of Pro/Ultimate. Like not joining domains, no VPNs, no remote desktop services,...

There have been hacks involving replacing DLLs and hacking the registry to essentially give some Pro/Ultimate features into Home, but your best "hack" is to anytime upgrade to ultimate if you really need this functionality.

B