W7 upgrade install product key

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Roobsa, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Roobsa macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just installed W7 Home Premium 64 bit on my MBP through bootcamp and when I had to enter the product key, it wouldn't accept it. No biggie, so I left it blank and finished the install. Now I went to activate it just now, and it came up with the error:

I wasn't aware you could do a fresh install from an upgrade iso (I bought it from Digitalriver through the Microsoft student offer and made a bootable iso from the files). So now I think I'm in the rather annoying position of having to delete this W7 install, install Vista then reinstall Windows 7. Is this the case?

If someone could shed some light on this it would be really appreciated, thanks.

2. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

call Microsoft. They will know what the error code means and how to fix it. ;)

3. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Go to Winsupersite.com Paul Thurott has the workaround to do a clean install.

4. Roobsa thread starter macrumors regular

5. Roobsa thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link mate, it worked a treat! No reinstalling multiple versions of Windows for me :)