Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
hey,

i know i'm kinda jump'n the gun, but i was just wondering what your advice would be...

i am eligible to get the discounted iphone 4 around february of 2011. should i wait for the next gen iphone?

a few things i think might be worth waiting for:
-a fixed antenna design
-facetime for macs as well as windows
-more apps that take advantage of looser app control from apple
-more durable design (glass breaking often?)
-improved speed/battery life

what do you think?
right now i can't see a significant difference for me between the 3gs and the 4... but i've not lived with a 4... is it a dramatic improvement (post hype)?

thanks,

r.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
i am eligible to get the discounted iphone 4 around february of 2011. should i wait for the next gen iphone?

Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know.

Honestly, this is a really lame question at this point. No one knows what the 5th generation iPhone will have, so if you want to upgrade you might as well do it when you're eligible.

-a fixed antenna design

No problems with the antenna here. Got my iPhone 4 in the mail as soon as it came out.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
if i were to rephrase my question...

... are there any iphone 4 owners, upgraded from a 3gs, who after a few months feel a bit underwhelmed?

(if so, perhaps i will wait...)
r.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wouldnt get an iphone in February since new ones usually come out in June-July.
Hold off another 3 months past to see what the next one is about and then decide before you waste your upgrade.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
My advice is to wait...while you're missing the biggest improvement with your 3GS, the retina display, you won't really notice unless you compare it with an actual iPhone 4 which you don't have yet. You still have a pretty fast phone with multitasking and other various OS4 improvements...the difference between the 4 and 3GS is pretty big, but not big enough IMO to upgrade only 6 months before iphone 5 comes out. Does that make any sense?

I doubt that all of those things will be fixed but some probably will:
Antenna
Wider spread of Facetime
Improved speed/battery life

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
yeah, i was thinking the same. thanks for giving me feedback on my lame question.

r.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Iphone 2g -> 3g = much faster networking speeds
Iphone 3g -> 3gs = huge noticeable speed bump
Iphone 3gs -> 4 = not a necessary upgrade. all the features do not help you that much

Wait 4 months, it will be totally worth it. Otherwise you'll regret it when everyone has the new gen and you're stuck with an i4

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
wait for the new one in July, I am in the same boat as you and will do the upgrade in July. :)

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I also have the 3GS & I'm eligible at the same time as you. I'm waiting for the next one. There will probably be some small improvements from the iP4 and it's only a few more months, might as well wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.