Wacky OS X 10.4.11 to 10.5 Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsobotor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jsobotor macrumors newbie

My mother-in-law is the owner of a old PowerBook G4 12" (CPU Type: PowerBook6,8) and a new iPhone 4. I volunteered to help her with the transition. Until the upgrade she used her PowerBook G4 and iTunes 9.x to sync an iPhone 3G. She cannot upgrade to iTunes 10.x because the newest version of iTunes is not compatible with OS X 10.4.11, and she cannot use her computer to transfer her iPhone 3G data to her iPhone 4 on account of iPhone 4 being unwilling to play with iTunes 10.x.

"Just load OS X 10.5," you are likely thinking this moment. I thought the same thing. I even have the Leopard install disc from my not-so-old unibody MacBook (the one that goes by the moniker 'collector's edition'").

But (gasp) it doesn't work! :confused:

I boot from the OS X 10.5 DVD, the installer attempts to search for 10.4 in the DVD drive and reports that 10.4 cannot be found. :apple:>About This Mac clearly displays the current OS as Version 10.4.11.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Mother-in-law is going bananas.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can't use the install disk that came from one computer to install on another. Not only is it illegal, but it's locked by Apple to that one particular model. You can obtain a copy of Leopard on eBay or from a few other retailers, and you can even try calling AppleCare and asking if you can order it (some have had success with that, but not everyone who calls is able to do so for some reason).

Incidentally, had you simply searched the forums, you would have found that there are in the range of 1,000 threads on this precise matter already.

jW